Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Comprehensive Ins allow me to drive another person's car

Options
  • 20-03-2022 5:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭

Hi

Can you advise me - Does my "Fully Comprehensive" Insurance allow me to drive another person's car. Not on a permanent basis, only on rare occasions. The other person would also have Fully Comprehensive Insurance.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,814 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Depends on your policy, it's not automatic.

Look at the wording on your policy document re "Driving Other Cars".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,186 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends on the terms and conditions of your policy. Usually it does, but can be limited in that it may only offer it to policyholders who are 25. I'd check the terms on your certificate of insurance and call insurer to verify if unsure. Normally you will only be covered third party in the other persons car you will be driving.

I was also limited on one policy by engine size and number of seats (no 7-seaters). I only discovered that by accident when querying something else, and got out of that policy sharpish!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The insurance cert that you took the windscreen disc off will clearly state if this under what the insurer is allowed...

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Conology

Thanks for your replies - I'll double check my policy & with the Insurer.

Thank you all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭vandriver

I know I had fully comp,with no driving other cars extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Rket4000

You could also find that even though you have fully comp on your own car yiy are only covered for third party driving other cars. It might be easier to get yourself insured on the other car as a named driver in the owner's policy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It has to by law describe what is and is not insurance certificate... otherwise how would people/Gardai know when document presented...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Apolgies I misread that. The disc doesn't, but the cert does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

That was most likely a limitation on fully comp. cover when driving other cars. In the case of the policy you're mentioning, cover would have been limited to third party only if you exceed one of the stated limitations.

There's usually two sections of the policy document which outlines the limitations to cover when driving other cars, one which restricts fully comp cover based on factors like the engine size and another section which states limitations to cover (of any kind) when driving a borrowed car. The latter usually revolves around your relationship to the owner e.g. some policies state that you won't be covered if the car is owned by someone in your household.

It definitely wasn't! I checked and double checked because I couldn't believe it myself.

It was one of the online companies (25+/ItsForWomen - can't remember now but they're all the same crowd anyhow afaik) - great price, but it became clear why, and they were a nightmare to deal with so I was glad to be shut of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

This is what you should have done in the first place.

People come on here all this time, am i covered for this am i covered for that.. How the hell are we supposed to know! Read you damn policy documents, that is what they are for, to tell you this information

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Advertisement