Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

how to find school for immigrant

Options
  • 18-03-2022 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I've recently immigrated to Ireland (Dublin 15) with two sons 10 and 13 yo. Now trying to find school for them, so they could continue studies.

I tried to contact several nearest local schools, but they say that there is no place and I should join the waiting list (which is 10-20 ppl) and apply for next year's waiting list. Any other schools would be out of the walking distance. I don't have a car yet. They could probably take a train or bus, but even walking to the nearest bus would be 10 minutes.

Is there some good guide, or what action I need to take to get them to school?

In many other countries, you could just visit a local public school and get a place in a few days.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭HazeDoll

Assuming you came to Ireland with very little notice and very little time for planning, do you qualify for refugee status? You have entitlements if you are here as a refugee.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 zkaro

I'm not a refugee. Came to work here. Unfortunate coincidence with the war in Ukraine.

Yep, you're not doing anything wrong, school spaces are just tough to get in Ireland. It's the type of country-specific info that's helpful to have before you consider moving (also see doctors, dentists, weather, and our tax rates). It would be very normal to walk 10 (or 30) mins to a bus stop to get to school. A lot of schools at secondary level will have some of their own school bus routes, but I guess you're looking at primary schools for the 10 year old.

I'd take the schools' advice and sign up for as many waiting lists as you can, and just keep looking in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,644 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

In Dublin getting into your local school is very hard. Too many kids not enough schools. Lots of kids have to travel outside their local area to get to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭HazeDoll

It's coming to the end of the school year. There are 9 (?) weeks of secondary school left, a bit more for primary school. There's no point in discussing the fact that you should definitely have sorted this out months ago. Now, you're looking at buying uniforms, books etc that might only be used for those few weeks. You haven't said what stage of education you were considering for the 13yo but in Sept he'll probably be starting second level as a first year. You will need to fill out enrollment forms ASAP. I would suggest writing off the remaining weeks of the school year. Put your kids on every waiting list you can, with a view to getting them well set up for September. Get them involved in local sports or something to form friendships and practice English.

The start of the school year is an expensive time for parents. Maybe look at putting money aside with that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 zkaro

Just a small update. Few schools took our kids without birth certificates, pps numbers or proof of addresses. With the promise to be delivered later.

Not the nearest schools (half hour by train), but so far kids are enjoying it.

My advice: keep calling to the schools, ask for a place and if they could accept docs that you have. In my case, the 8th(?) school said that they could take child without docs (just passports and application form would be enough). Called the other nearest school and they had a place for other kid (one is primary, other is secondary).

And was it worth it? Definitely! Their English skill started rising significantly over the last month.

Advertisement