Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York City births, marriages, deaths now online free

Options
  • 16-03-2022 10:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭

I just got an email from the New York Genealogical and Biographical Society announcing that New York City--all five boroughs--vital records are now online free. The project is 70% complete and ongoing. As usual, more recent records are not yet available. The records are images, not transcriptions. Considering the huge Irish-born and Irish-descended population of New York City, especially in the 19c, this is stunning news.

You can read about it at https://www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org/blog

I realize the day before St Patrick's Day will find many people busy elsewhere but this is amazing news. Getting this info has long been a lengthy and expensive process. Researching emigrant relatives may answer questions about those who remained in Ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭55Gem

Brilliant news, thank you, unfortunately the one I want isn't getting a result yet, but something to look forward to.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

That's great news - thanks for sharing Virginia!

I'm hoping New Jersey follows suit.

Post edited by Hermy on

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I've found a few of my Joyce and Tubbs collateral ancestors in the collection but, best of all, my 4x great-grandmother, who emigrated during the Famine and lived to the age of 75.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement