Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundationless Frames Question

Options
  • 16-03-2022 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Quick question for anyone with a bit of foundationless experience! I'm getting in 2 6 frame nucs of AMM in the next couple of weeks. I'm looking to transfer them into their hive with foundationless frames and then transfer out the old nuc fames which have foundation on over time. 2 questions have arisen out of this and I find differing views on them both so would be interested in what people think.

1. Should I install the nuc with: 6 nuc frames followed by the 5 empty frames, split the brood frames up with foundationless frames in between each nuc frame or should I do a mix say 2 or 3 nuc fames in the middle followed by alternating between foundationless and foundation frames? My goal here is to try and prevent the bees building cross comb etc.
    2. Second question relates to the feeding the nuc after its installed to get them building out the foundationless frames. 1:1 sugar syrup ready to go into a 10l ashforth feeder, should I drip feed in every couple of days say 2 or 3 litres to simulate a flow or should I fill the feeder and let them get on with it? I'm looking to avoid them taking down and storing the syrup in the existing drawn frames.

Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

Advertisement