Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unregistered farmer

Options
  • 14-03-2022 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Mods feel free to move this if not in the right place.

I have a small plantation and will clearfell soon. I am not vat registered. I have a full time job, paying prsi and USC.

Am I right in applying the flat rate 5.4% addition when selling the timber to a vat registered trader.

Post edited by leinster93 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 gt12

Hi,

Nor sure if you are already sorted by now. Anyway, sharing what I know from IFAC accountancy website:

https://www.ifac.ie/news-insights/news/forestry-farming-the-tax-considerations

"

VAT

For VAT purposes, forestry is deemed to be a farming activity. If you are not registered for VAT, you will need to apply the 5.4 percent VAT addition when selling timber to a VAT registered trader. This should be kept in mind when agreeing a price with the timber merchant. If you are not VAT-registered, you can claim the 5.4 percent flat-rate refund on certain fixed capital costs, such as fencing and roadways (but not planting). Claims are submitted to Revenue via the VAT 58 form.

If you are VAT-registered, you must charge VAT at 23 percent on timber sales apart from fire wood, which is chargeable at 13.5 percent.

"

Guess this would answer your question, If needed try calling ifac advisor to help.

Advertisement