Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Hello all! This is just a quick reminder to ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere.

Tokyo Vice - HBO Max - (***Spoilers***) Michael Mann

• 14-03-2022 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57,490 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson

This one I have really been looking forward

Starts April 7th

Based on Jake Adelstein's non-fiction first-hand account of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police beat, starring Ansel Elgort and Ken Watanabe. The drama captures Adelstein's daily descent into the neon-soaked underbelly of Tokyo, where nothing and no one is truly what or who they seem.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57,490 ✭✭✭✭ Agent Coulson

The first 3 episodes are out.

I watched the first one and it is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 77,397 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

It is on StarzPlay on Sunday May 15th

Finished episodes 2 & 3 and this is a really great story and even more so that it is based on a true account.

Looking forward to the rest to the series now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭ Spon Farmer

it will be on Starzplay in Ireland starting on the 15th of May.

Really wish HBOMax was coming though. I want it most for the Looney Toons and Adventure Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭ ondafly

enjoying this so far - really getting Black Rain vibes from the first episode.

• Advertisement

The BBC have bought the second window rights to show it this side of the world later in the year.

This is a seriously great show and the story gets more and more intriguing with each episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭ yabadabado

Watched the two latest episodes ,4&5 and it's continuing to be very good and it's also bringing in a few more characters/storylines.

I think I read it's only 8 episodes long so I'm guessing there will be a second season as too much going on to be wrapped up in 3 more episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,334 ✭✭✭ Wombatman

Absolutely brilliant so far. Michael Mann and Tokyo neon. What more could you ask for? Praying they can sustain the quality right to the end.

Tokyo Vice will be exclusively shown in the UK and Ireland on Starzplay from 15th May, with the first two episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,362 ✭✭✭✭ yabadabado

Just finished watching episode 6 and 7 and they have kept up the excellent quality.

Can't believe there is only one episode left in this amazing series.

Well that was a top class series and Michael Mann at the top of his game.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭ Dav010

While I thought this series was brilliant, I was disappointed with the finale. The series starts with a meeting of Jake and Katagari with the Yakuza, it ended without that meeting being explained. There are too many lose ends for what was described as a “limited series”. The lead has been accused of sexual assault by a number of women and as of yet there is no indication that it will be renewed for a second season with doubts that Elgot would return as the lead if it is. So, disappointing end.

Its a bit of a misnomer to call it a Michael Mann series, he directed the pilot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,353 ✭✭✭ seraphimvc

Come to say I'd recommend this 8 episodes (season1) show by Michael Mann - actually look forward for season2 ha.

To keep it short, episode1 is definitely a bit 'slow' but after that the pacing is faster and overall production is respectable really. It is almost like a mini documentary with a story (police-journalist-yakuza drama) that actually shows realistic Jap cultural stuff.

We mainly watch it because of Ken Watanabe but ended up enjoying the plot and many other actors/characters. It is based on the well known book and they have done good work for adapting the source material - if you are into police drama series (this one sets in Japan ha), yes this is a must watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ Shred

I have this on my HBO watchlist, I must give it a crack judging by everyone's reactions here!

Great news it has been renewed for a second season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭ cozar

its on BBC2 now. just finished 1st episode, excellent.

Yes started on Tuesday 22nd November 2022 on BBC 1, also BBC Player

Advertisement