Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corcogemore/Corcóg mountain near Maam Cross

Options
  • 14-03-2022 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭

Hello

has anyone ever climbed Corcogemore or Corcóg, which is about 4km from Maam cross

If so, is the attached the most straight forward route?

I am doing this with an 8 year old who is used to climbing, but still want to be sure I pick the safest route

From what I read, it can be very steep in places, so want to avoid this if possible

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭obi604

Bump 😬

Gave this a blast today. Tough tough going. Ended up doing the rough route as attached in red (I think) The black is what I thought could be an option but does not look like an option in the flesh.

Did an hour and a half up and decided to call it a day and come down. According to Google we were at about 350 metres but if felt like a lot more. I honestly thought we were not too far from the top (611 metres) but was hard to know.

No clear path up, a lot of false tops and hard to know how much more it would have taken us. The going was very tough in parts, scrambling on all fours in bits. Very steep for me anyways, I am not a seasoned climber or anything. I would love to have made the top but decided against it as was not sure of the route, when you look up it’s daunting with no clear route. We tried to get to a shoulder and go up that but didn’t work out , then moved in from the shoulder as looked like some possibilities, but no luck and decided to throw the towel in after a good effort. Twas a good hour and a half climb but no cigar. We may give it a try another day if we could try and figure out the safest route

The joys of google earth, had kinda forgotten it existed :)

see attached

Yellow - the rough failed route we did.

Blue - what I now think is the safest route, but not sure

Thank you. Where did you get to see these routes on mountain views? Does it need a different login etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I was thinking of climbing it last summer and I'm pretty sure I could find routes on mountainviews.ie without having to login or sign up.

If you wanted to do a different climb in the same area, then Lackavrea is an option. It is opposite Corkóg on the other side of the R336 road. It has great views, especially of Lough Corrib. Although I would imagine that the ground on the lower slopes it is very boggy at the moment.

• Advertisement

Thanks for input. We did Lackvrea in April 2021, was a nice climb and the views were savage.

so looking to try and conquer Corcogmore - attempted it already about a month ago and failed : ( spent about an hour and a half and only got to 350 metres and then gave up

half the battle with this hiking is trying to find out where to park, where to start and the general route up

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I think I have a book that has info about hiking Corkóg, I'll have a look for it tomorrow and post anything relevant.

THANKS

Good Jaysus, fairly basic of me that I never thought of clicking in the green circles, d'oh

😬😬 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Was up it again a few weeks ago. Was a little boggy at the bottom alright, but grand otherwise. Got a spectacular morning for it. Corcóg on the right.

• Advertisement

Was gonna tackle Corcogmore again today. But didn’t get a chance.

any comments still welcome.

Advertisement