Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saw the threaded pipe under the tap

Options
  • 13-03-2022 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

I've found a nice set of pair basin taps, but the threaded pipe under the tap is bit longer than needed. 

Can I use a metal hack saw to cut to the length I need? My concern is if the thread at the bottom gets bit damaged and can't connect properly to the pipe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Can you post pictures

It might be possible to use basin flexis instead

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭bluestrattos

This is the tap I'm talking about.

Regarding the use of flexis, while I would prefer to use it, I've a very tight space under the basin, and without extra work, I don't think I would be able to fit something else there. I attached the photo of the tight space (the water pipe is 15mm wide)

Thanks

If I had enough room between the elbow & the wall I'd cut the pipe there & use a flexi. The paint would need to be removed before fitting the nut & ring for the flexi. If I didn't have enough room I'd cut the pipe, with a pipe slice, under the nut & ring to suit the length of the new tap.

The reason I'd stay away from cutting the tap pipe is because it most likely will mess up the threads. This will make it very difficult or impossible to get the nut on behind the basin. Cutting the tap will void any warranty that comes with the tap.

On another thread someone suggested this is a 15 minute job for a plumber. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Cut away, Just make sure you pick a point to cut and stay on it once you start. You'll need to pay more attention that you're starting on the correct thread too but you'll have no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,761 ✭✭✭10-10-20

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Not a plumber but would it be possible to tighten the nut above the point you plan to cut the pipe with a hacksaw, once you’ve cut through, take the nut off, it will correct any damage to the thread from using the hacksaw, I regularly do it with bolts with no issues, are pipes different, personally I’d chance it

Thanks for all the advices. I tried to saw and while the thread was alright, the seal between the tap pipe and the ring in wall pipe wasn't so good, so I'm looking at getting the flexis. Cutting the pipe, removing the paint and get a compression flexi, so it's future proof.

Thanks all for your comments/suggestions.

One question: what's the minimum size required to have a compression fitting ? Before the elbow, the straight pipe from the wall has 2cm maybe 2.5cm if it really goes against the wall

Post edited by bluestrattos on

Update with photos. Thanks for all your help. I was able to cut the pipe and install the Flexi hoses.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 CantCatchCovid

nice, you didn't leave yourself much room there !

Well done. You barely had enough room but it worked. 👍️

• Advertisement

Thanks. Yes, there was not much room for errors. Hopefully I will not need to touch it for the next couple of years

Advertisement