Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rattling noise from engine after timing belt changed

• 13-03-2022 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

I have a 2015 Skoda Superb 2.0 diesel. I got the timing belt and water pump done 2 weeks ago. Since then when I start the car there is a loud rattling noise which sounds like the car is misfiring, the car is shaking and basically hopping as I drive. It stops after about 15 mins then will start again when the car is idle or when I start the engine again. The car was fine before the job was done by a garage (not main dealer) and my engine has always been very quiet. I took it back and the mechanic was not there to look at it so I am going in again tomorrow. I think they did something. Would anyone know what this is because I am worried driving now as the car sounds like it will cut out sometimes. It was fully serviced 2 weeks before the belt and pump was done and engine was fine. As you can imagine this was a very expensive job and I feel my car has been returned to me is worse shape than it was when I dropped it in.

Answers

I agree the job was expensive but job was made by inexperienced monkey. Wait a second, they coming soon here. I need to run... and fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yeah I wouldn't drive anywhere till it's fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

How did you find the mechanic - well recommended or just found him on the Internet? Was the service done by the same guy who did the belt? Seems odd that the belt wasn't done during the service. One job for the price of two???

Ring the mechanic (if there's just the one guy involved) and say the car is not driveable. A timing belt failure will be catastrophic. It won't fail as long as you don't start the engine. He might well say that if it was going to fail because of whatever is happening, it would have already done so.

If you're driving around in a car that's shuddering you're asking for trouble. I say this knowing there are conditions that will cause shuddering but not immediately damage anything. But I suspect you wouldn't know which is which and therefore you shouldn't take the chance. That wasn't meant to sound in any way malicious, just from your OP I feel identifying car noises just isn't your thing.

Whoops, the 'tomorrow' you referred to was actually yesterday. So, what happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Whocare

Diesel pump timing out be my guess

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Jesky25

Hi,

I am getting the same issue. Do you know what was the issue with your car?

The issue I am getting is when driving the car when oil temperature is low and driving on high revs then you will hear rattling noise from the left part of the car. I got the timing belt and water pump change from Pilsen skoda....and after that the problem occurs.

They checked the car but said they have checked the timing belt and its fine. The rattling sound only occurs when the car is cold / oil temperature is low. Once the oil temperature needle is in the middle then no rattling sound.

By the time I take the car to the mechanic, the oil temperature settles and they cant find the issue.

• Advertisement

Were you able to diagnose the issue? I am having the same problem and have no clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Fresh air helps!

It was the EGR valve!.

Did the mechanic clean it or replace it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I had the same a day after getting timing belt replaced 2 months ago. Car was making a loud hammering noise which was getting progressively worse. It was literally the first drive I did in it after the replacement (I live 2 minute from mechanic so I didn't notice it driving home on the day it was replaced) .

I had to pull off M1 and ring the mechanics who did it, to be fair they said they would come out and collect the car and whatever I did NOT to drive it any further!

They fixed it. They said they forgot to screw the engine cover back on so it was just sitting on top banging away.

It was cleaned but I went elsewhere to get it done. The chancers out there that say it must be replaced is madness there is also an option to switch the egr off.

• Advertisement

If you don't mind,can you pls tell me the garage who fixed your car if garage is based in Dublin? I can probably bring my car to that garage.

Hi it was a place in Co. Wicklow that sorted me out actually. You need to find out for sure if it is the egr valve first but don’t let the first quote you get freak you out there are options!. You will get some mad quotes total rip off. If you are near south wicklow I can recommend someone to switch off the valve but you need to be sure first!

Advertisement