If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)
Hi all, The AutoSave Draft feature is now disabled across the site. The decision to disable the feature was made via a poll last year. The delay in putting it in place was due to a bug/update issue. This should serve as a reminder to manually save your drafts if you wish to keep them. Thanks, The Boards Team.
Hello all! This is just a quick reminder to ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere.

Is a soakaway necessary?

  • 13-03-2022 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7 anjebe

    Hi All,

    looking for some advice. We are getting an extension onto the back of the house, ground floor only.

    Architect wants to add in a soakaway. Wondering if this is really necessary, as we do not have any weather / water issues.

    Is there an alternative, even just a rain barrel?

    Thanks for any thought or advice


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭ Gusser09

    There is a reason why the Arch is putting it in. See what builder says.

  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 43,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭ muffler

    If you are in urban environment with storm water drainage available then you connect to that. If you're in a rural area then you pipe the rain water to an open drain / stream and if that's not an option then you use a soakaway. Barrels will fill and overflow eventually and are therefor not recommended.

  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭ T-Maxx

    A soakaway may be a requirement of the planning authority as part of their SUDS strategy. Your architect probably knows this. You could also check in with the council to confirm.

  • Registered Users Posts: 7 anjebe

    Thanks for the responses guys. Will speak with them about it.

    They do things very much by the book, which in one way is great, but can't help thinking that sometimes they are overcautious and adding in more than necessary.

  • Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭ C. Eastwood


    Chartered Building Surveyors and Engineers and Architects must have Professional Indemnity Insurance.

    They are obliged to do everything by the Regulations and various Acts etc

  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭ DOCARCH

    If applying for planning permission, and in Dublin, pretty much all the local authorities will request the provision of a surface water soakaway (where it is suitable to provide one) or other means of attenuating surface water run off. If you do not make a proposal with your planning application, very often you will get a request for additional information to address same.