If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Social Anxiety/Mutism CBT therapist for young kid (8yrs old)

  • 11-03-2022 8:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭


    I'm looking for private CBT therapist in Dublin area, or online for my young girl. She's been sutruggling with this for a long time and I can't get help from the HSE, they don't even allow her to be diagnosed. So I decided to take her private and see how things will work

    Do you have any suggestion for a good therapist you've tried and had a good outcome?

    Thanks a lot.

    Post edited by Big Bag of Chips on


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,038 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

    Moved from Psychology to Personal Issues.

  • Administrators Posts: 13,022 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

    @mohm.kamal I think moving your thread to the Parenting Forum might be better suited. This thread might help you when trying to find a therapist that will suit your daughter’s needs. Just remember each person is individual so what might have worked very well for one person is not guaranteed to work for another.

    Start here:

  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

    If there are any Facebook pages in your local area, especially parenting ones, you might find recommendations there. I see people regularly asking for recommendations on my local pages and posters are generally very helpful.

  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

    I would also suggest talking to the school, the resource team in the school in particular - not sure what their acronym is these days.They often know who might be doing private work, and might be able to recommend.

  • Administrators Posts: 13,022 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

    Your GP would also be a good place to get a recommendation.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭thefallingman

    the Lucena clinic in Rathgar is good and work with the childs school aswell

  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Mynydd2

    Lucy Nathanson is brilliant and travels to Ireland for intensives

    I have the selective mutism manual, really good. Happy to give it to you

  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mohm.kamal

    Thank you Mynydd2, that’s very kind of you. What is in the manual? And have you got a good outcome out of it?

  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mohm.kamal

    He didn’t hep much, he referred us to a local adult and adolescence psychology centre but as long as you’re not suicidal, they won’t see you in this lifetime due to waiting list :( .. that’s why I wanted to ask for a good therapist then will ask my GP to explicitly refer us to, that’s my plan

  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mohm.kamal

    I didn’t know they exist, will try to talk to them .. thanks very much for the point out

  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

    By resource team, I mean the teachers who are providing additional supports to kids, usually taking groups out of the classroom - SET, is that what they are?They are often aware of the psychologists and play therapists and others that might be out there offering private sessions, as they often deal with kids who have reports from those people. There should be a few SET teachers in your child's school, but I would certainly start with the class teacher or principal, just a query to explain what you are looking for and where you might start, publicly or privately.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

    Sorry to bump and old thread but id suggest you take her to an art psychotherapist as they offer therapy through talking but also through the use of image making to support communication since your daughter finds it anxiety inducing to talk to people. Might be worth having her tested for Autism just to rule it out, if she does have it though she'll be entitled to more supports so really worth looking into.

  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭mohm.kamal

    Thanks a lot for your reply, do you have a recommendation in your mind in south Dublin area?