Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help to pick car to drive

• 11-03-2022 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello,

I'm hoping to get some advice. I need to buy a car and I know little about them. The criteria I need met are it has to be automatic (I learned to drive abroad), has to accommodate a child seat and boot big enough for a buggy. I don't have to travel far to work, less than 6km. I wouldn't be doing many long trips. Most would be a couple of hours every month or so. I'm leaning towards an electric car but again, there is so much to wade through online I'd just like some peoples' opinions that know about cars or have similar situation to myself. I've looked for second hand cars, but there isn't a lot around that are automatic, so I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and buying new. Budget I have is 25,000 to 30,000. I could go a bit higher but would like to keep around there.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Miscreant

There are plenty of Toyota hybrids around as second hand cars that are automatic (they are exclusively automatic) so don't discount them. They are very reliable and most would have the space you want (certainly the Auris, Corolla or Prius ones).

For a new EV under the 30k mark you would be looking at the Corsa-e, the e-208, the new Fiat 500e and possibly some of the MG models. Most other models would be over the 30k mark and all would have quite a long waiting list when buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

In the current market, where second hand electrics aren't in great supply, but petrol and diesel cars are definitely going to fall out of favour in the next 3 to 5 years, I think you'd be mad to buy a brand new, small petrol automatic, unless you can get a low % PCP deal with a guaranteed value after 3 years that you would be happy with.

There are many small, automatic, petrol and petrol hybrids out there that could suit your needs and that you wouldn't need to spend above €20,000 on.

I would look at Kia and Hyundai, a three or four year old model still has three years of manufacturers warranty left, which is significant. Toyota and Honda also make very good small family cars, often with auto petrol and hybrids available.

Really with the tiny mileage you will be doing, there is no sense taking on huge depreciation.

Toyota Yaris, Auris and Corolla

Hyundai i20 and i30

Honda Jazz

Suzuki Swift

Skoda Fabia

VW Polo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,524 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

@OP You could get a brand new Nissan Leaf.

https://www.nissan.ie/vehicles/new-vehicles/leaf.html

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement