Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurling Coaching Question

Options
  • 11-03-2022 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭

My son is 7 and has been going to hurling training since early 2020. They do their drills and he loves those and has great fun. However, when the mini-game starts he does not get involved. He stands well out of the way and lets the game go on around him and will move out of the way if the ball comes near him. He enjoys meeting his friends, but told me that he is afraid of getting hit. I know he is right, but how can I change his mindset on this and coax him to get more involved. I know he's still very young.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭Deskjockey

I think the best thing for you to do is to practice with him out in the garden and play a game with him that introduces a bit of physical contact. So the two of ye stand on the goal line, he pucks the ball out and then the two of ye have to chase out, get the ball and score in the goal. He will get used to tussling for the ball (and even if you knock him over 😁) then you can say that wasn't so bad and get him over that fear of getting a belt. Stick with it and he will get more involved in the training matches then. The fact that he enjoys it and meets his friends there is a good start.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

I'd agree. My own lad used to be a bit like that himself. So I used to go out a couple of times a week to do exactly what the poster above is suggesting, and after a few weeks of it, there was no fear whatsoever left in the young lad. Just don't be too rough on him....for a start, anyway! 😁

Obviously don't know if you're involved in the coaching yourself. I happen to be with my own club's U7s and U9s. One thing we regularly do is take the more nervous or timid lads aside for a few minutes and do drills likely to involve a small bit of gentle contact...like running from opposite directions to compete for a loose ball, or getting one of them to try dribble around the other. That kind of thing might help too, if it's possible to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭bamayang

One thing we were always thought as young lads 20 years ago, if you stand in against your man shoulder to shoulder and ye both pull on the ball. Both hurls will swing out and miss each other, kinda wrapping around you. But if you stand back a little or your not rubbing shoulders, and the other lad pulls, the hurl will come up and hit you an awful clatter in the chest or jaw!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

That's still a good one to teach them. I'll sometimes even stand in such a way that I know a young lad will hit me when he pulls, just to demonstrate what I mean. They think it's great craic to get a slap at one of the coaches.

Then I'll stand in closer and pull gently the other way, to show that the hurl misses them when they're closer together.

Wouldn't do it with anybody older than about 7 or 8 though, because they start pulling harder then!!!

Advertisement