Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Midlands Golf trip

Options
  • 09-03-2022 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm organising a golf trip to the Midlands and was wondering if you all could advise me. Hoping to play mainly in opens but it's not a priority. Going to be based in Athlone but happy to travel an hour for a good course. We are all reasonable golfers, hcaps from 7-11.

Going on the June Bank Holiday Thursday - Saturday, might play Sunday too

Day 1 options are:

Glasson

Esker Hills

Moyvalley

Day 2:

New Forest

Tullamore

Portumna

Day 3:

Mullingar

Portumna

I have played New Forest and Moyvalley before but not for 10+ years so I can't remember much about them. I'm interested in Glasson as it has been recently done up.

Heard Portumna is very nice, rated highly in the top 100 courses. Very reasonable too. Think there is an open there that weekend. New Forest looks good too with a nice set up.

What do you guys think? Which would you go for? Are there courses I'm missing? Thanks in advance.

Post edited by irish_man on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I've only played Moyvalley,New Forest and Mullingar.

I wasn't really a fan of New Forest, a couple of nice holes but wouldn't go back in a rush.

Moyvalley is just a solid golf course and the condition in the summer months is fantastic. It's the best example of an inland links I've played.

Only played Mullingar summer of last year and it was in great condition. There's next to no water but I would still rate it as one of the best parkland experiences.

Rathcore is about 20 minutes from Moyvalley, I haven't played it in a while but if the condition is good its a good course. If the condition hasn't improved from the last day I was there over a year ago I'd give it a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭coillcam

Moyvalley is a good track imo. Some lovely holes to test you on the back 9. I like New Forest but Moyvalley is a better course of that style. Mullingar is my home club and I'll happily recommend it to anyone. It's a friendly walk, always in top nick, quite forgiving in places but has some really nice signature holes (2 and 10) to test you. Esker Hills is a bit different than any of the others I've played but in a good way. The constant elevation changes and blind shots really keep you on your toes. Worth renting a cart there tbh.

What's mullingar like at minute ?

I was planning on waiting for summer to head back down as it will be the brothers first time there and I'd like him to see it in the condition I did

The group I was playing with on the day were dismayed the back tees were in play and I understood why when we stood on the 2nd tee box ha.

Haha the 2nd is actually the hardest hole during the scratch cup despite supposedly being index 5. Catches out a lot of people, especially slow starters or if you're not warmed up. 210 yards from the back tees and the elevated green. Never be short sided or its at least a bogey.

I'd recommend waiting a few more weeks to dry out a bit tbh. General condition right now is actually quite good and you probably wouldn't be dissappointed. Though like some parklands this time of year, any decent spell of rain is closing the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Day 1 : Esker Hills (Great track, get a buggy, my fav track on this list)

Day 2: Tullamore (Really Nice)

Day 3: Portumna (Mullingar is close here so either would be good)

In truth I don't think you have a bad track there and you could play any of them... Glasson has also got recently upgraded...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 RAyfen

I would highly recommend County Longford Golf Club, I have played all of the courses on your list and Longford is as good if not better than most of them.

Longford tends to get overlooked due to its proximity to so many well known courses but it is a beautiful Mature parkland course and well worth playing.

you will not be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭The Guru 123

It's a perfectly fine course but it's not on the same planet as Portumna and Mullingar.

Also if you're based in Athlone then why aren't you considering Athlone GC? A fine track, not a course for higher handicappers really but looking at the handicaps you mention that shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

I've only played Esker Hills, New Forest and Tullamore from that list and I'd recommend all three to be honest. Esker Hills is a bit of a different to most courses, I'd definitely recommend it. Of the other two, I'd pick Tullamore. Very traditional parkland, very fair and nice variety. There's a nice mix of holes you should be hoping to par and holes where a par is a great score.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

With you, I think Esker Hills will be the track you will remember and go back too... Loads of my friends all play it once a year... Just so many different holes not see anywhere else...

Tullamore is a very good traditional track

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

As an Athlonian I would.....

Glasson, Mullingar but can get wet, Esker Hills but can get wet, Portumna, Tullamore, New Forest but a punishing course, Athlone but can get wet.

Just to mess with your head, around 1hr30 gets you to Strandhill and Slieve Russell which are heads and shoulder above the Midlands courses

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Option 1 seems best idea with Glasson being the furthest (if coming from Dublin) then working back to Esker Hills then Moyvalley but id throw in a little gem of a course just a short drive from Athlone in Moate. We did midlands last year and are doing something similar this year .great golfing country and spoilt for choice

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Athlone Golf club will be having their open week during that bank holiday weekend. The course will be in serious condition for it

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Thanks all for the replies and suggestions.

I'm thinking of going with Esker Hills Thursday (it's an open, only €20), sounds like an interesting course.

Tullamore Friday, looks good and I've had a lot of good recommendations

Portumna Saturday, no 47 on the Irish Golfer Top 100 has me interested.

All these are 45 min or less from where we are staying so it's grand travel time.

Might play Moyvalley on the way back to Dublin on the Monday. Depends on the pints on Sunday!

I'm from Cavan, know the Russell well. Best parkland in Ireland! Also been over to Sligo several times. Great county for golf. Longford mentioned here, don't know much about it. Never heard much about Athlone either.

Just wanted to try the Midlands for something different and to play affordable golf.

My other option was Donegal. Murvagh, Portsalon, Narin and Portnoo, could sneak in Strandhill, Rosses Point there too but logistically a lot of travel. The ballyliffins and Rosapennas have got somewhat unaffordable now unfortunately. Links golf can be brutal too so maybe parkland will be more forgiving.

Thanks again.

Post edited by irish_man on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Can't argue with the 3 courses you selected for the 3 days. They're all lovely courses. Tullamore would be my favourite of the 3 of them. The course is always manicured to perfection. Greens are incredible there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,504 ✭✭✭blue note

Sounds like a great trip. The towns in the midlands are a nice size to stay in as well - nice bars and restaurants. It's just set up as a location for a golf holiday. You could do this trip again next year and play 3 different courses and not be disappointed with any. The Heritage is one you didn't mention actually that's worth considering.

We did what you mention in Donegal in 2020. It was absolutely brilliant! Narin and Portnoo is the best course I've ever played. The place I'd always recommend to people going to Donegal though is Cruit Island. Course wise it's very nice. But in terms of views it's spectacular. It completely blew anyplace else I've ever played out of the water in terms of views.

The trip I want to do (hopefully this summer) is Concra Wood and Slieve Russell. I hear great things about both. I know they're not all that close, but they're close enough.

Lough Erne would be a good shout and only 40minutes from slieve russell on that trip. I've played them all and Lough Erne is the best if them I think. All very good courses though, just make sure it's a dry week

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mrchilliman

Esker hills over Tullamore.. give Birr a shot too! Portumna is a fine course too.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭irish_man

Lads I see this thread back up today and I must never have clicked post comment on the below summary of the trip.

Hi all,

Just back from my trip. Ended up playing Esker Hills, New Forest and Mullingar. We all had a great time. Some lovely golf to be played in the Midlands.

Esker Hills wasn't great to be honest. Very tight in places. Fairways were shaggy. Bunkers poor. I played poorly too so maybe that is the reason I didn't enjoy. Definitely need a cart as loads of hills. Good value though at €20 for the open. Tullamore had an open also so maybe I should have played it.

New Forest was brilliant. There are some lovely holes. The 13th was probably my favourite. Garden hole was really cool too. I'd recommend everyone to try it. Great opens on every week.

Mullingar was really good too. The greens were running lovely. Bit tighter than New Forest with a few tough par 3s. The second is a tough hole and I had a shot on a few par 3s which is unusual for me. 16th was a very nice hole with a gully that you can't see from the tee box. Luckily I was just short.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Beaulieu

Never in a month of Sundays would I put Esker Hills above Tullamore.

Tullamore is very similar to Mullingar (both are James Braid) and it's a great course too. Esker Hills has a much more unique design which makes it an interesting challenge.

However Esker's conditioning lets it down and is a real shame. Still I don't think it's as far behind as you're making it out to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

I would have to agree here. I feel esker has gone downhill a lot in recent years.

Advertisement