Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family friendly locations

Options
  • 09-03-2022 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Hi,

We're from the south and we're heading to Donegal for two weeks in the middle of July with two kids (5&8).

I would love recommendations for family friendly hotels, Airbnb's, activities, walks, festivals, etc...

We're looking forward to the trip so hopefully we're lucky with the weather!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

• Registered Users Posts: 28,989 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I took that to mean they're from the southern end of the country!!

OP, I can't help with family-friendly much, as I don't have one - but if you're in the vicinity, I'd recommend a trip out to Tory Island to see the puffins (and the scenery, and the island which is like a different world!)

They nest in the cliffs, and I think should be there around that time, and they make for a magical sight!

It's a really easy day trip.

Also, Glenveagh National Park is stunning, and they seem to do a lot of stuff with schools and youngsters - not sure how much is available on an ad hoc basis or if it's all organised educational trips - but would be well worth getting in touch to see if there's something there for the young family members, because it's soooooo amazing for the adults! There are bikes to rent as well, so you could put the kids in a trailer and bike them around if they weren't up to the walking/cycling themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Even though most of it is further north than "The North".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭mumo3

Stayed in Malin Head last year in an air b&b with kids ranging from 8-20. We went to https://www.wildireland.org/ then onto Derry for the day and also did https://wildalpacaway.com/ which I highly recommend. We also went out on a boat trip one of the days and went to the famine village. There is so much to do for all ages, but you need to be prepared to drive.

But there was days where we just stayed by the water and the kids did a bit of pier jumping and a couple of beach days.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

Thanks for all those tips. Looking forward to planning the trip!

Apologies for "the south" reference......good to know I need to say we're from the southern end of the country when checking into places ;)

• Advertisement

You might be surprised at how many people think Donegal is in "the North", (it used to drive my daughter crazy when she was in college - the comments about her being British got old pretty fast!)

You'll probably find that there will be a lot of people from "the North" here on holidays, anyway, when you arrive!

Advertisement