Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting rid of soother

• 08-03-2022 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

So my son is 2 years and 4 months old and I think it's time to get rid of the soother. He's quite attached to it. We already try to limit its use during the day which he doesn't seem too bothered by but if he's upset about something or tired, he asks for it.

I was thinking of getting rid of it during the daytime altogether first but letting him still have it for nap time and night time. And then work on getting rid of it then too. I'm worried, he'll find it hard to sleep without it. Has this happened to anyone else?

Also, any good tips on how to explain getting rid of it to him? Our local fairy door tree has a few Soothers hanging off it. Maybe I'll get him to leave it there for the fairies. Any tips are very welcome, thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

I would also appreciate any advice on this! My son is 2 and a half. He has the soother for nap and bedtime. He's a divil for dropping it...on purpose a lot of the time...and if he wakes up in the night having dropped it, we end up going in to find it for him. I guess we'll just have to bite the bullet, but having just gone through a regression, we're cherishing our sleep 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭Damien360

Dip it in vinegar and let it soak into the hole that is highly likely in it. Won’t be long giving it up. Worked for us that way years ago with our first and he had his closer to 3 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

I would think straight up do not put so much on his mind to get rid of the soother. Best option is like you are thinking take it away during the day, if he needs soothing just distract him with something else, sing a song or be like oh I need your help doing so and so. Leave it for just naps and nightime and then gradually phase it out. When you are putting him down for naps or bedtime then do not mention anything about the soother see how he goes, if he really does not settle without it then give it to him but try to let him settle himself. You would be surprised how fast they do without it...To be hones this idea of leaving the soother to some fairy is more traumatic that just leaving it go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

We waited until 4 for total removal of soother and that went fine. Our younger 3 year old only has it at bed time. We started this pattern at around his 3rd birthday. We just use a firm signal that its only for bed times and it works pretty well. We get him to put it on top of the nappy table in the morning and he usually obliges.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

This is what we did and it worked out well.

On the day of the 3rd birthday he puts it in the bin himself. Some sort of tooth fairy equivalent comes for it and leaves a present.

We kept it because we figured nighttime would be a problem, but was never looked for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭appledrop

I actually think it might be easier for them to give it up nearer to 3 as they have more of an understanding of things.

Our son only had it at bedtime/ naptime from about 2 years of age.

We then asked him one day did he know that the soother fairy comes and takes away your soother when your ready and leaves you a toy instead.

Over the next few days he asked questions about it and then said one night he would leave if for the fairy.

He got his toy next morning + never looked for it again!

I have to say I couldnt believed how easy it was in end, but I think it was because he was 3 and could process it + also he felt it was his decision.

Advertisement