Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Valuation on item

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,492 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm not sure if your Order of Service has the provenance you're suggesting. You say your great-grandfather was a guest at the coronation - was that book handed to him when he arrived at Westminster Abbey for the ceremony?

A spot of research reveals that a company called Novello Co. Ltd published that book as a limited edition of 150. It's possible that as a publicity stunt, they gave a copy to Winston Churchill (then UK PM) and that's how it ended up as an exhibit in Chartwell. A copy came up for auction a few years ago with an estimate of £100-200 but it failed to sell. Which suggests to me that it was not given to a very small number of (elite) attendees on the day. Because if it was, each one that came up for sale would have the original owner's name stated as provenance.

https://live.adampartridge.co.uk/m/lot-details/index/catalog/9/lot/12476

Lot of publishers churned out hardback and softcover versions of the Order of Service which were sold to the public and snapped up as souvenirs of the day. I assume that's what you mean by the 'merchandise' version. They don't have a huge value as collectibles.....

Post edited by coylemj on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

That is fantastic information thank you very much!

The second book I have is a very ornatee official pictorial record of the ceremony.

The order of service book I see came in a numbered box which I dont have. It would have been given to him as he was a guest.

I suppose it's a family heirloom which will live out its days in my bookcase!

Cheers!

The order of service book I see came in a numbered box which I dont have. It would have been given to him as he was a guest.

He might have claimed that when he came home to conceal an act of extravagance. My guess is that he bought it while he was in London.

During ceremonial events in the UK, an individual's importance is not recognised by giving goodies to some people and none to others, it's done by the strict implementation of what is known as the Order of Precedence. If your great-grandfather was a really important personage, he would have been given an arrival time later than most. The more important you were, the later you arrived. I cannot see any way how they could have handed out just 150 copies of that book when there was 8,251 guests in attendance.

He was a very well known figure of the time and would have been a special guest, as he was a personal friend of King George VI.

He was ordinary pleb!

It does seem the book only holds sentimental value though.

Then he was probably given the book as a gift by someone in the royal family. An inscription inside, perhaps signed by the Queen Mother would have significantly enhanced it's value.

• Advertisement

If anyone has any recommendation on who could value it that would be great.

Advertisement