Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Eir wont let me to cancel not working 5g broadband

• 07-03-2022 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello,

After battling with Eir for the last two weeks, I ran out of options and hope to make it work and decided to cancel my contract, thinking I still was within the 14 days cooling-off period.

I was declined and told Ill to have to pay the cancellation fee in the amount of three hundred something euros. This is unacceptable for a service that doesn't even work.

Is there anything I can do to get off Eir's hook?

P.S.

Their support confirmed I have a very bad signal and I could try a 4g sim card. But this is not what I ordered. I was looking for 5g speeds. Besides 4g in my area is too congested besides living in a rural area

EDIT.

I received the device on the 21st of Feb. But they started my cooling-off period on the 18th of February.

Post edited by alex_r on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

I just talked to CCPC and they advised me to fill in the Eir Complaint form, then fill in ComReg Complaint Form and if this doesn't work then I can go to a small claim court (€25 fee).

Did anyone have any experience with that?

Comreg are your best bet here. Make sure you have a record of every communication (emails, chat log etc) with Eir. Try to avoid having chats on the phone with them, get it all documented instead.

However, as it is outside the cooling off period, you may be out of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

"You may cancel on line, telephone and door to door sales orders within 14 calendar days following receipt of your goods"

If you can prove you got the goods on 21/2 - that is when cooling off period starts. In my experience once you are in your right (and can prove it) and have Comreg involved, Eir will comply.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭alex_r

Thanks, lads

Eventually, I was able to cancel my contract. Just saved myself 300+ euros. Such a weight off my shoulders. I'd be grinding myself the whole year if I had to pay them haha

For everyone who will end up in a similar situation. Here is what I did.

I gathered everything up(evidence, dates and my rights and courses of action) that I could use to defend myself and rang them again. This time around the chap on the phone was way friendlier. I explained my situation and at first, he said I am out of luck, it seems their system even prohibits doing anything once you are off your cooling-off period, upon realising that I actually received the device on 21st of February, he had to ring somewhere to double-check when I actually connected for the first time, once he was able to confirm that he said I am in luck and cancelled the thing momentarly.

One caveat tho. When I made an order over the phone I paid for the device upfront. I asked them when will I see a refund for this payment. They said since you paid for the device it's yours now. So, no refund for me. Still waiting for a confirmation from them. It's a bit suspicious.

In either case. The main takeaways:

1. Eir does have good staff. David restored my view of that
    2. Keep track of your cooling-off period
    3. Keep track of all your interactions with them, when you purchased, when you received devices and connected it.
    4. Know your rights

I explained my situation and at first, he said I am out of luck, it seems their system even prohibits doing anything once you are off your cooling-off period, upon realising that I actually received the device on 21st of February, he had to ring somewhere to double-check when I actually connected for the first time, once he was able to confirm that he said I am in luck and cancelled the thing momentarly.

Funny how the system magically stopped prohibiting any action when you clarified things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Shpongler

Is the modem/router the Huawei 5G CPE Pro 3?

If you are stuck with it, see if it is unlocked. They are worth a lot more than the 49euro paid to eir, so you could make some money on the deal overall if you can sell it. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

I picked up a CPE pro 3 from Eir last week and it was indeed unlocked!

Advertisement