Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As a non driver where would you live?

Options
  • 06-03-2022 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭

Thought I’d throw this out there for some opinions. Where would you choose to live in Cork as a non driver (both for your current lifestyle and taking a long term view)?

I’m living in the suburbs for a long time but contemplating a move as have secured an arrangement to work from home so proximity to the office is no longer a factor.

Would you live in the city centre? Obvious advantage of having everything on your doorstep but would have some reservations about safety, antisocial behaviour etc. It’s difficult to take a long term view and visualise yourself as a pensioner etc but I guess it has to be factored in.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I've always been a non-driver and currently renting on Cove Street, right next to what was the Big Pile of Rubble, aka the old FAS building.

The flat is small and grotty, but my rent is only €850 (long time renter). I would love to move, but rents are so high these days. And I love living right in the city centre. No problems with anti-social behaviour, feels quite safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭opus

I lived on Cove St for many years & would say the same. Place will improve once the new hotel gets built in the pile of rubble. Since I've moved to Shandon which is even quieter as where I live doesn't have the same number of passers by.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

What about the noise when the clubs and pubs empty out 1 thing that would put me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Only a factor if you happen to live near clubs or busy pubs.

Another vote for Shandon area, here. I live 2 doors from a pub and am never bothered by noise from it.

Yes, it generally is noisier in the city centre at night but you just get used to it - that's city living.

I'm in my 50s and have lived all my adult life in city centres (mostly Cork). I see no reason for this to change as I age.

If I didn't work well outside the city, I'd rarely use the car. We do 90% of our shopping on foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

@the beer revolu just had a thought - I am frequently on Shandon St - bet we pass each other all the time without realising it lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭notAMember

Depends on your lifestyle. Anywhere on a frequent bus route I'd say, and with some shops / sports facilities.

Douglas village is a good spot. Plenty of shops, pubs, food, schools and access to sports.

Blackrock village has similar, close enough to mahon point, sports clubs there (tennis, gaa, rowing etc). Access to the railway line for cycling. Pubs, food there and a bus into the city.

Ballincollig is similar. Regional park is there, shops, pubs, sports.

City center itself is also great, with the constraint that you're a little more limited with sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Economics101

Obviously all the non-drivers live in Cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

St. Lukes would be good. Very walkable but still away from it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,781 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Perhaps, but I'm not on Shandon Street all that often!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Samuel323

Yeah non-driver live in the cork.

• Advertisement
Advertisement