Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tesco: bad value

• 06-03-2022 5:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Two things: first they increased the price of a well-known brand of milk from €1.05 to €1.29 this week (it has been at the lower price for quite a while.

Second, since MUP their beer and wine price on many items above the MUP threshold have increased significantly. For example Tyskie beer from €1,65 to €2,50 a litre. Also most wine price a re rounded up to the nearest Euro.

Contrast this with Lidl where wine prices have increased in line with MUP rules, and not more.

Comments

Milk has shot UP in price last couple weeks.....that's certainly not unique to tescos......mrs Mc Carthy texted me the other day to pick up 2ltr ( anonmore supermilk) on way home...... 20cent ( €2,19 from €1,99) MORE than a week earlier.

As regards a relaxing bevvie at the end of the day........ looks like my bi-annual trip to Newry will have the car stuffed on the way back......even with the rate of exchange at moment ( bad) still a BIG saving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

OP, you might look into the cost of inputs of producing milk and the huge increases in these inputs in recent months. Ultimately some of these costs have to be passed on to the consumer.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭tiredblondie

Price on a lot of things have gone up in Tesco - went in for weekly shop yesterday, haven't done it in there in a few months and certainly noticed the difference in cost compared to Aldi where i have been going!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭uli84

2.50£ in the uk 4.50€ in Ireland

rip off

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/en-IE/products/312720713

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,113 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Why would you expect two different countries with different currencies and economies to have the same price ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭Xterminator

All supermarkets: bad value

there, fixed that for you!

seriously though, min wage in Ireland is a lot higher VAT regime is different. they are not going to have currency at an exchange rate level. your comparing apples and oranges.

Also just back from Belfast and i can confirm some items are dearer in the north! they are charging the euro price in sterling for some goods like a small bottle of diet coke. So it is swings and roundabouts.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Supermarkets price most items at what use to be the 'Recommended Retail Price' set be the originator - wholesaler/manufacturer. That was outlawed but still operated but just not mandated.

Supermarkets in Ireland - Dunnes, Tesco, Supervalu (Musgraves), Aldi, and Lidl - supply more than 90% of the everyday and food market. They compete furiously, but only on a few items that they can claim are cheaper than **** or match ****. Of course, when a customer goes to take advantage of these super competitive prices, they pick up enough full price items that more than makes up for any loss on the low priced items. Most people know less than 10 prices of everyday items.

The own brand items are often low margin and so inflation hits these harder, and it is these prices that go up first. They do not like putting up prices on individual items often, so they put them up by 25% to 50% and then maintain these prices long term - well, sometimes.

Of course they also have shrink inflation where they reduce the quantity in the product but keep the price unchanged. It is particularly common with chocolate bars such they have got so small they are a total waste of time. The Cadbury Cream Egg is now the size of pigeon egg. The Chocolate Orange is also diminished to be not worth looking at. The Toblerone 400g bar was reduced to 360g by removing some of the triangles. Sad - it is enough to cure my love of chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Just noticed that Tesco's online shopping delivery has increased to E8.00 plus their minimum basket value is now E45.00 up from E30.00 otherwise an extra E3.00 is added.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭walterking

That was a 2 week club card price special offer.

Tesco had them here for €2.99 on a club card deal in early February

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

Tesco clubcard shopping price is now a joke i saw a 2 liter of soft drink 20 cent dearer after clubcard reduction who are the trying to fool the housewife is well clued up now when she goes out to shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The 'housewife is well clued up now when she goes out to shop'?????

You might want to look at the calendar and notice that it is 2023 not 1973...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭homingbird

I knew i would have that comment coming to me but when you look around any supermarket its still at least 70% women pushing a shopping trolley around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,548 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Just because they're a woman and shopping in a supermarket doesn't mean they're married to their house.

Drag yourself into the 21st century ffs.

Advertisement