Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

I want to go back to college, how long do I need to be out of work?

Options
  • 06-03-2022 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am currently working full time. Finished college in 2012 with an arts degree and have been working there since then.

I want to leave this job and go back to college. All the info I'm getting is for people who are out of work with a long tíme or single parents or someone with a disability. Not a lot of info for someone in employment that's wants to leave their job, other than I need to be unemployed for 9 months before applying.

As I have a son, a wife and a mortgage this is not ideal.

Has anyone ever been in the same situation?

What are the options financially relating to college fees and grants.

Any information will be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Notmything

If its teaching then you need to look at the likelihood of getting employed.

I have friends who teach English/history/maths and are struggling to find work. Apparently those subjects are massively oversubscribed in terms of qualified teachers.

Or so they tell me, but maybe they're just useless.

Obviously if you have the money then you could just go back to college but I assume you are looking for info on supports.

I went back to college in 2014, was able to get Susi and free fees as it was over 10 years since I had graduated with a different degree. Took a bit of to and fro but eventually got there.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭rosmoke

You don't need to get on Back to Education grand.

There's so many good courses available on Springboard that are available now for those in full time employment too.

Have a look and hopefully you find something that you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shocks15

I should have said that it's PE teaching and history that I want to study, or something along those lines if I don't get into that particular course.

I did a springboard course before in relation to my current job but I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than spent the next 35 years in manufacturing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

To be honest it sounds like you just want the government to pick up the tab for educating you a 2nd time. They do not do this lightly.

As you have previously completed a degree you are not eligible for the 2nd chance scheme either. As you have a family to support as you indicate taking a year off before applying isnt a good idea.

I think you are looking at PE teaching and history as your career with rose tinted glasses, even if you qualify to teach you could be several years with those subjects temping before getting a permanent position.

With your current arts degree is there any scope for you to do a PMED to teach some subjects ? Have you investigated this ?

Have you looked at conversion courses via springboard to a new area you might have an interest in ? There are hundreds of courses all over the country for very little money to convert you to IT or other in demand skills areas ?

If you really feel that its PE and History teaching you want then look at your options for part time - As you already have an arts degree you may be covered for a good few modules.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Shocks15

Slightly unfair to assume that, as my company would be more than happy to keep me on weekends and if I wasn't going to be crippled with college fees I would be delighted to do that, and that's why I'm here to see if that is even possible(what are my fees if I stay on weekends) there doesn't seem to be any information.

Iv never drawn the dole by the way and iv been paying high tax with the last 9 years since leaving college as I always do overtime.

Literally just trying to find out what my fees are I'd I leave work and apply to college next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I'd say look around first and see what the job opportunities are.

Nothing worse than spending years in college and getting nothing from it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

The rule of the Free Fees Initiative is that you are not eligible if you have a degree already - regardless of when you obtained it. https://hea.ie/funding-governance-performance/funding/student-finance/course-fees/

It depends on the course you choose, because the tuition fee varies, but you can expect to pay approx €7,000 per year in fees.

Advertisement