Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter problem with young cat

Options
  • 05-03-2022 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭

the litter brand I had got my cat used to became discontinued and now the cat is extremely hesitant to do her stuff with a close replacement to this litter. Amazing how fussy they are.

any ideas or previous similar experiences. I’ve tried a couple of different brands and nothing is a fit like the old one.

it’s affecting the cats overall happiness.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,434 ✭✭✭✭Alun

What kind of litter was it? Our long since departed cat was very fussy about the size of the litter granules. She liked a nice fine litter, and anything bigger would cause problems. Another thing she really didn't like was any kind of perfume or deodorant in there.

I vaguely remember reading once that if you wanted to transition a cat to a new type of litter to do it gradually, mixing in the new with the old in increasing proportions to get them used to it slowly. If you still have any of the old litter left that might be an option still, but if you haven't then I'm not sure what to suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

transitioning ship has sailed as her favorites litter is out of stock.

it was carrefour lavender. It’s European, I don’t live in Ireland

Ah, OK, pity you don't have any of the old stuff. Can't really help with French brands of litter, but do you have MaxiZoo there? They always had a big range of different litters, including some perfumed ones. You could also maybe ask Carrefour who made their litter for them and see if they have anything similar.

Good luck!

Thanks, if I’m doing anything wrong in terms of a litter box then let me know.

It's difficult to say, have you always used a tray liner bag, for example? I know our cat hated them, so we stopped using them.

We settled on using a fine clumping litter, and scooping out the poop and pee straight after every use. We bought a thing called a Litter Locker to put the waste in which kept the smell down.

Cats seem very sensitive mainly to the feel of the litter on their paws. That one in the tray looks a bit like a clay type litter, and can get a bit damp and smelly after a bit. The clumping litters stay a lot cleaner and dryer as long as you keep them clean with regular scooping.

• Advertisement

Nice one, I’ll try without the bag and then go from there if it still isn’t working

Try a clumping litter as well. As I said, that way you can scoop out the pee and poop easily and top it up. You still need to empty it completely now and then but not as often.

With non clumping litter the poops are fairly easy to remove, but the pee just makes big soggy lumps that are difficult to remove and make it really smelly which means you end up replacing the complete contents every time.

Advertisement