Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Removing Immersion

Options
  • 04-03-2022 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭

I've swopped out a few immersions over the years but haven't seen one like the attached. There appears to be a sealant that's set solid on the immersion if I remove it so that I can get the immersion spanner on will that be enough or is it likely to be set solid?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

It's bosswhite I'd say, should come off easily

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

I always caution customer that the cylinder might get damaged during the element removal and that is just how things are. Loosen it with cylinder almost full. A bit of heat often helps.

btw I can't see exactly the sealant that you mention. I presume it's not the factory insulation on the cylinder that you speak of? It's usually just a rubber or fibre washer between immersion and the collar..

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Get it loosened with the cylinder full is my advice, you can decant some water then before final removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭tnegun

Thanks for the advice. Sorry it's not a great pic it's the brown stuff just visible on the nut there's a lot more on the back. Its reasonably hard to remove and there's enough that I'll need to get it off before the box spanner will fit on its toughness had me a bit worried that it might take a lot of force to remove increasing the chances of damaging the tank.

Advertisement