Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SEAI grant issue and concern about additional costs

Options
  • 04-03-2022 8:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭

I had a new gas boiler installed and went through the SEAI heating controls grant application. A site inspection of the work was carried out and the report identified a number of issues where the works were not carried out to the standards specified by the scheme on the following points:

1. Extra zone: Neither 3rd zone nor TRVs fitted (severity 1)
    2. Pipe work not acceptable: leak in air vent (hot press).. (severity 2).

This report was emailed to the boiler contractor advising that the reworks must be completed within 4 weeks of the inspection. I have already paid €3332 for all this work, including €220 extra for earth bonding by an electrician as advised by the contractor. I am frustrated by this, as I’m thinking he should have known the requirements and carried out all the required work at the time. Looking back at the original quote, there is no mention of TRV’s. I think I’ve solved the leak myself as the little black cap on the air vent was missing so I bought a new vent, took the cap off it and screwed it on.

Should I expect him to carry out the remedial work with no additional charge to me? He hasn’t contacted me yet, I was told by the inspector that the onus is on him to get back to me. I will not be happy to pay one more cent to get this grant application over the line. Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,958 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I thought you got a BER inspection first & this gave you the list of requirements for the plumber to work off / price off?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Is installer registered with the SEAI?

Just replacing the cap on the air bottle will not satisfy the inspecter. Those are not supposed to depend on the cap to stop a leak. Only air should come out of them, even with cap off. (In reality most leak and cap is screwed tight until an oppertunity to replace the air bottle arises)

As far as extra costs, that will depend on your contract (if any) and what work was quoted for and how it was worded.

Best you can do is talk to the installer and explain that you don't need the extra costs of not meeting the inspectors completion deadline.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Subscribers Posts: 41,249 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Nope.

The BER is the last thing to happen.

The contractors are registered with seai and are expected to know the specification requirements of the works.

Not having the 3rd zone or trvs is just silly, don't know what the contractor was thinking by omitting these

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

BER happened before this quality inspection. So I’m taking from this that the plumber (who is SEAI registered) is responsible for remedial work with no extra cost to me? I don’t expect he will just roll back in and spend half a day without trying to hit me with a cost.

Copying and pasting original quote before works started……….

“Thank you for allowing us to quote for your upcoming project

Some points to note;

*There are also carbon credits discounts available and we can apply for these at source and will immediately deduct from below. *Amount depending on system installed and whether its a house or apartment

Recommendations;

*It is advised whenever you are getting a new boiler to think about installing a new hot water cylinder during boiler upgrade. Older cylinders are inefficient and can leak after fitting new boiler or controls. N/a

* When a new boiler is fitted, sludge can move around the system from the old boiler preventing the radiators from heating. We would recommend you include a system flush when a new boiler is being installed to prevent this and ensure the heating system works at full capacity.

* you can apply for heating controls grant on seai.ie with contractor……. A ber will need to be done as part of application by an assessor

*New flue

*Magnaclean filter

*Chemical cleanse and flush of system

*System inhibitor - chemicals to reduce future corrosion and sludge build up in system *Pipes and fittings

*10 year parts and labour warranty

*RGII certificate of conformance

*Installed to SEAI standard where applicable

*12 month workmanship guarantee and provision for annual service contract

*Full payment is due on day of completion or otherwise agreed timeframe. Card payment by machine, bank transfer or cheque preferred.

Parts

Description Unit price Quantity VAT Total (exc VAT)

carbon credits discount full (house) €-350.00 1.00 0.00% €-350.00

Supply and fit Worcester High Efficiency gas boiler 15kw. New high efficiency pump and 8 l expansion vessel €2100

Supply and fit 2 zone heating controls package. Upgrades for grant application. €950

Subtotal 2700, VAT €411.75.

Total €3111.75

Additional payment for electrical work, earth bonding /immersion timer €220

Total cost to me €3332

Grant gets me €750 of that back, but it’s not looking that simple.

• Advertisement

so it looks like he included 2 space heating zones, but did not put a stat on the HW cylinder creating a 3rd zone?

would that be correct?

have you read this?

https://www.seai.ie/publications/Homeowners-Guide-To-Heating-Controls.pdf

I was aware of it but hadn’t studied it in detail. I put my trust in a registered and reputable installer to take care of everything for me. Which hasn’t happened.

you should keep your communications with SEAI to ensure the contractor comes back to fulfil their requirements under SEAIs registration contract.

The contractor dare not try to claim they didnt include for works which were required to be carried out by the grant requirements, or they will be in serious trouble with SEAI.

My concern also is he hasn’t contacted me and that report was sent to him 2 weeks ago. So he has 2 weeks left to sort this.

There is definitely no mention of TRVs in the quote. However Upgrades for grant application might suggest otherwise.

Are you sure that you were to get a 3rd zone? Quote says "supply & fit 2 zone timer". You would need a three zone timer to operate 3 zones.

• Advertisement

I left all of what was needed to the installer. I only told him I was applying for a heating controls grant.

With only 2 weeks left, I would contact the installer & try get a timeline from him.

So sent him a message and he replied that he never received the email from SEAI inspections outlining the defects. I find that very hard to believe but forwarded him on the email that I had. Awaiting his reply. I’m now not expecting a simple resolution to this.

I get caught out on some emails going into the junk box.

He answered the phone and is talking to you. That is actually a great thing. Other positives I take from your posts are he is registered & he prefers payments other than cash. He might surprise you yet

I’ll keep you updated. Thanks

So the installer came out to complete the work (he installed 3 x TRV and looked at the leak issue, unsure what he did). Also unsure if 3 x TRV will be enough to satisfy the SEAI inspector. He’s sent me a bill of €120 which I will be disputing with him. And will wait for the repeat inspection to see what they say. Not happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Just for comparison - we had a new heating system put in recently and also when for the SEAI grant for heating controls. After the work, SEAI themselves carried out an inspection and found 3 things that needed to be remedied (1 x Sev 1 and 2 x Sev 2). We got these emailed to us and so did the plumber, and he organised to have them all sorted. An electrician needed to revisit for one (earth bonding, like yours) and the plumber sorted the other 2 (auto bypass and something else). No additional charge from the plumber, they accepted fully up front that it was on them to meet the requirements of the SEAI as that's what they had signed up for.

Advertisement