Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfield Infant Assessment?

Options
  • 03-03-2022 1:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭

So dropping off my son to junior infants this morning his teacher informed me they want to run the Belfield Infant Assessment on him.

She'd mentioned that some of his fine motor skills (cutting) were not great and his general attention span (in particular sitting at the table) wasn't great either. Despite being told not to worry its hard not to. In general hes always seemed fine to us, not great at sitting down for dinner but is happy to sit for a book or play lego or whatever else for an extended period of time. Socially he seems fine, but of course now I'm looking back at every other odd instance over the last 5 years.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, are these tests common?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Primary learning support teacher here.

The BIAP has been around for a good while. In some schools, they use it with entire classes and in others, it's done with a number of children.It's used to look at things like perceptual processes, motor development, early learning styles, language and communication, social and emotional development, but they may only do the motor development part or whatever other parts they think are relevant.

I wouldn't worry, let them do it and then see what information they can get from it. It's great that they are so on the ball- the earlier an intervention is put in place, the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭PMC83

Thanks for the info! Its given me a little bit of perspective!

Advertisement