Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Switching electric/gas providers (see first post for links)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭DataDude

Can’t use any of those if you’re on a smart plan unfortunately. They call you after a few weeks and offer a different electricity price. Can’t avail of either 24hr or day/night

Smart prices are

33 day

23 night

38 peak

but can’t find the online link. Maybe it’s phone only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭larchielads

Got a letter from flogas to say ive been accepted which was nearly a week after applyin. Feels very slow moving the changeover. Thats the only contact ive had with them since. No contact either from current supplier to offer me anythin to stay. Its all hush hush the flogas thing. Its a secret club im tryin to get into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭con747

I think the reason they take down the offer is to catch up with the admin, they don't appear to be well organised that way.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

I helped someone sign up for the standard meter BWG electric plan yesterday (it’s a new build).

They just got a welcome email from Flogas.

The power was on in the house and in the developers name.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭1373

I've joined them lately, none of the suppliers mentioned previously come near their prices. No contract. Only concern is prices can rise and you don't know the price until month is over. Others I know using them seemed happy enough, will find out soon enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭jkforde

you don't know the price you're paying per unit until after you've used it?! now that's a novel business model

and if you're a 80%\20% night\day user, the Flogas BWG night rate wins hands down at 14.75c per unit, and Waterpower's average day rate for last 15 months is 35c, 2c more than Flogas's 33c.

Post edited by jkforde on

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

You are as they say , twisting the figures to suit your argument. The 24 hrs price is 22.77 cent for may . I'm on 24 hrs, so waterpower wins handsdown if that's any use . If I get a few months at this rate, I'll be well in credit for any rise that may come . But why should there be rises when energy prices have dropped

You'll need someone who was with them for June to answer that, the last 5 months were better prices than other suppliers unless you had the 30 to 40% discount which had ran out for me last week ,hence I gave waterpower a go

• Advertisement

You just stated the rate for May in your previous post so how do you not know the rate for June? I would love to see the suppliers drop their rates in line with market trends but this is Ireland after all. Not having a go at you just wondering.

I only joined last week. If I remember correctly how she explained it is ,for June , the bill arrives in middle of July and payment is debited a little after . That's when you get the June price.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭bleaks

Anyone tried phoning up Flogas to progress their BWG application?!

I also have a smart meter in the house (even though I'm not on a smart plan), so I presume I'll have to also be put on this smart plan that doesn't seem to be advertised anywhere?

I would be open enough for that scenario when my current contract ends in October with BG, worst case scenario you get a bigger bill for one month. Hopefully not to big! If you keep an eye on market trends you should be able to see any big rate rises coming up and jump ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Suzuki_Dale

I got the same call today, and I actually ended up staying with Energia

1. Flogas is a fixed-rate contract, and if the price goes down, I'm locked in. If energy prices drop a little, mine will drop too, as the discount is off the standard rate.
    2. They hinted that prices are expected to go down.
    3. €50 signing credit, when I mentioned the €13 price difference ( Flogas prices v Energia 20% base on my current usage)
    4. They back-dated my discount to the end of my last contract 6 weeks ago.

Felt like a good deal, and I like how Energia operate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭bren2001

I would expect prices to start increasing from late August/September as European countries start to rebuy gas to store. When the winter months hit, the price should rise significantly. The BWG deal is right for me but if you can stomach the uncertainty of WaterPower, you could well save a lot of money. Worst case is you leave if you get a massive bill one month.

• Advertisement

so you were out of contract? what rates are you now on then? I'd also be content to stay with Energia but the availability of a D\N tariff is a deal breaker for me.

"Since I no longer expect anything from mankind except madness, meanness, and mendacity; egotism, cowardice, and self-delusion, I have stopped being a misanthrope." Irving Layton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

4 years ago we moved in to find both a pre paid gas and electricity meter. The gas had to be changed to a regular meter and cost €200. The electrcity itself was "converted" to a readable meter, but not physically changed, just enabled it to be readable. It was a faff alright dealing with both the old supplier and ESBN. I needed proof of purchase from my Solicitor because I wasn't the bill holder. All whilst feeding a pricey pre pay meter with no plan on full rates.

I'm now in a queue for a smart meter as ESBN don't consider my pre pay meter old enough to qualify for an upgrade. Requested smart meter Nov 2022.

I don't Understand how your price can come down if you've got a fixed rate contract, or is it a percentage discount

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bensimp

hi guys

I have had a read through the psots so I don't think I overlooked the answer. I am trying to sign up to BWG / Flogas online and keeps asking for promotional code? any ideas ?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Bensimp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 537 ✭✭✭terencemc

I'm just trying to get my head round smart meters based on the last few pages of comments here.

So with a smart meter you can avail of either the classic "24 hour charges" or "night saver meter"?

Everyone is complaining about getting moved to a "night saver" charges. I assume if you do alot of intensive activity in the night (washing/dish washer/dryer etc), there is a saving to be had? I do see that with the BWG deal, the day time "24 hour" charge is lower than the day time "night saver" charge.

Is the BWG deal missing from bonkers.ie ?

Apologies for the questions as I have recently returned to Ireland and am out of the loop...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭lau1247

With smart meter, currently you get 24hr plan non smart plan or Smart plan (usually 3 time period with different rates depending on the time).

The smart plan is like night saver but it is NOT night saver.

Night saver require a Day and Night meter and should only have 2 time period.

BWG deal won't be on bonker.ie, it was an exclusive deal supposedly for BWG Food Group employees but anyone can sign up if they know how to find the links

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

It's a "Smart Plan" that folks are trying to avoid. They have a peak rate between 5 and 7pm that is more expensive than day rate and the smart night rate is way more expensive than the traditional night rate.

Apparently if you go on a "Smart" tariff you can never go back to other normal or D/N plans (referred to as your smart meter being activated) so your future options are limited to price plans that are a rip off at present.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Oh I forgot to add a massive fckin thank you to whoever found and posted this deal.

42c electricity down to 29.99c

13.50c gas down to 9.80c

Standing charge is higher but we'll make that back on gas in jig time as all our hot water is gas (don't have an immersion).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Whats the rate after the discount?

In the same boat with Energia, actually been with them for 3 yrs (but renewing the discount/plan every year)

Weighing up options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭batistuta9

If you're trying to compare providers, switcher is a better site than bonkers if you know your usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Croftman

Ok so the Fixed Smart Rates I got back from FloGas were Day 33.74, Peak 38.15, Night 23.11 & SC €302.92. Still better than my current EI rates but higher than the Standard Rates I'd hoped to get from them like everyone else.

I'm wondering is it better to just fire on with them on the above or take a chance with Waterpower for a while? The rates they've sent me on seem to be dropping the last few months. May 23 was Day .2804, Night .1782, 24Hour .2277, SC 80 cent per day

fyi, ESBN have an early adopter process for the new Day\Night Smart Meters - RM107 registers only Day and Night usage but also records export for those with microgen. they're planning to start installing them in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I got the same rates and went with Flogas. Will set the heat pump to work overnight and try to remember not to put on washes etc between 5 and 7 pm.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Ill become an early adopter next April 😂 Shure the summer is already over.

Ha yeah, doesnt make sense for anyone with a D/N and solar to change from Sept until next year. Ill be not available for as long as i can :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭bren2001

Just interested, why?

Is there a benefit to the old meters with solar compared to the new smart meters?

There is a formula they use at the moment for those of us not on Smart Meters. You dont export anything really in the months of Nov, Dec and Jan, but the Deemed export formula still applies so you get some export rebate even if you havent exported.

Deemed Export Quantity is an estimation, based on a formula, of exported electricity in kWh: it will be used as a proxy for metered export data, where metered export data is not available.

The formula to calculate Deemed export quantity = MEC x Capacity Factor x Export Factor x Provision Interval.

Where:  

MEC is a capacity value in units of kW, representing the generation capacity of the installed generation equipment, as declared via ESBN’s NC6 (or equivalent) form

• Capacity Factor is the ratio of average electricity produced to the theoretical maximum possible if the installed capacity was generating at a maximum for a full year. CRU have proposed this value is set at 9.7% for all technology types. It is the average capacity factor of photovoltaic panels

• Export Factor is the amount of electricity (expressed as a percentage of electricity produced) deemed to be exported, where the metered data is not available. CRU have set this value at 35%

Provision Interval is the number of hours in the period for which cumulative export quantities are to be calculated and to be made available to suppliers by ESBN

Example of a deemed calculation: 

Sample calculation for Deemed Export Quantity 

Example 1: Residential customer with an MEC of 1.8 and where the "Provision Interval" is 12 months (= 8760 hours) 

Parameter 

Value 

Comment 

MEC (kW) 

As recorded by ESBN 

Capacity Factor 

9.7% as decided by CRU 

Export Factor 

35% as decided by CRU 

Provision interval 

12-month interval 

• Deemed Export Quantity = MEC x Capacity Factor x Export Factor x Provision Interval 
    • Deemed Export Quantity = 535.30kWh (=1.8 X 0.097 x 0.35 x 8760)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭CoBo55

As far as I can gather if you have solar with a standard meter you get credit based on the amount of panels you have whereas with a smart meter you only get credit for what you actually send back to the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gazzaman22

Can anyone poijnt me in the direction of this deal please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Coyote

just a point for people to check, I swithed about a month ago and just got the first bill and the electricity was the wrong rate (might have been Electricity Ireland delaying the switch fault), the gas switched fast a few days and was correct rate, but the electricity switch was about a month.

gave them a call and they said they would correct it and back data it

I got solar installed in February 22 and took a meter reading on the day, it was 24195. I take a reading monthly and write it down, today my reading is 23625 and that's because my old 1964 meter goes in reverse when I'm generating excess power. I always submit a reading 1 or 2 units above my last reading. I have my meter inside the house and the meter reader can't access it.

In the depths of winter my meter catches back up and if the reader calls I let them take a reading. It is worth way more to me and I have told the contractors that ESBN have replacing them in my county and they were are ok putting me at the back of their list so I don't refuse a new smart meter which means I forfeit any FIT payments in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭septicsac

Cheaper with zero stability and undoubtedly significantly dearer in the winter months

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Cape Clear

There in lies the issue given there is zero effort been made by other suppliers to entice new customers at the moment. Existing suppliers are offering poor renewal deals to anyone whose contract is expiring. I don't expect prices to be any lower in the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 inyoup

I applied to Flogas a week ago and only got email on that day - nothing since.. very slow

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭tx_tx

It can be unstable, if the market is. It depends on a number of factors impacting supply and demand, such as a recession or an escalation in war, but typically the biggest impact comes from the weather.

It's not seasonal, though. If Winter is colder than expected, electricity would be dearer. But if it's milder than expected, prices would drop. So, Winter in itself doesn't mean higher prices. The same goes for Summer, a hot Summer with little wind, no rain, and businesses using A/C units can mean high electricity prices.

Have a quick look at Waterpower prices last Winter. They were in line with the medium-term trend (slightly higher than this Summer's prices), with the exception of December when there was a spike on the wholesale market, caused I think by concerns on gas reserves in Europe at the time, but these concerns were unfounded and didn't last. And before that, there was a previous spike in August. Poor Winter has nothing to do with that.

Post edited by tx_tx on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Masala

Am paying .3970 with Electric ireland.

Is it worth contacting EL and seeing if they will price match ??? Has anyone tried ??

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Jaymacc

I am in a similar situation though as we know it’s cooler at night and the heat pump must work harder to produce heat then, so I wonder if it is more economical to have the heat pump run during the day even though the kw rate is higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭gipi

Keep a very close eye on this - I've been with flogas for several years, as has a buddy, and we've found that customer service has gone downhill recently.

Buddy moved house, brought his electric account with him, heavily in credit due to government subsidies, the credit disappeared from 2 bills. He rang each time, was told it would be corrected (it was there "in the background"). Has received 3 different closing bills for previous address, none of them correct . Flogas promised to sort it, but nothing received since the last set of phone calls.

I got a letter last week to say my gas was in arrears. I pay by DD, discovered the recent DD hadn't been presented to bank. Phoned flogas and was told that my DD mandate had been cancelled...they can't tell me who by or how!

I stayed with flogas as much for their customer service as for their decent rates, but I'll be switching when my contract is up.

• Advertisement

hmm, that's definitely concerning esp. with respect to any transfer of a credit balance and future CEG payments.. thanks for the heads-up

We've 8 metres with EI and and giving thousands each 2nd month and no they wouldn't do a thing to keep you, but plenty of phone calls asking you to stay once they got the transfer request. 5% and 100 euro gift is their best offer, when I explained that Last round of bills had a total of 900 euros in discounts with the 30% offer. What good is a 100euro gift I asked the rep , his answer was , this is what their costumers want instead of the discount

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,063 ✭✭✭✭zell12

What good is a €100 gift I asked the rep, his answer was, this is what their costumers want instead of the discount

And he is right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭John arse

Wholesale price for June 35% lower than June last year but no movement in the market?-the new YUNO supplier is going to interesting.🤔

With the 30% discount, most users will get back more than 100 euros a year

• Advertisement
Advertisement