Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to bring cats from Asia to Europe

Options
  • 01-03-2022 11:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

My daughter and her partner are relocating to Europe from Asia, over the summer.

At the moment, my daughter is adamant that they want their two cats to travel in the cabin of the plane. However it has been suggested to me that the cats would be safer and happier, travelling in the hold.

What do people think is the best way to bring them?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Hmm, I'd say a professional relocation company to handle it who's used to animal shipping is probably preferable to be honest. The cats will not be happy to be confined for 8h+ and seeing their owners, if they don't like strangers they are likely to be stressed out and then there's the natural needs of toilet etc. to take into account as well. Changing the covers in the cat cage (which by definition will be small to fit under the seat in front) in the toilet etc. is not easy. Add in they would be limited in what airlines allow them to fly with cats as well.

Personally I'd recommend Animals First as I've used them personally; they do animal shipping world wide and have handled a lot more strange things than cats. They are not the cheapest out there but they give excellent advise, A+ to work with and know their stuff and help with all the paperwork that needs to be done etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'd second getting a professional company.

I tried to organising getting my dog from Ireland to Australia by myself and it was a nightmare, mainly due to Aer Lingus on the Cork - Heathrow leg. They kept bumping her off flights meaning everything had to be re-arranged - including documentation. Only got sorted when I, at 3 am Sydney time, threatened to phone liveline and tell the country how Aer Lingus was preventing a boy being reunited with his dog. She was on the next flight. Thankfully Qantas were very understanding.

Hired a professional company to get her back (Brisbane to London - I drove over to get her as no way was I trusting Aer Lingus again). They arranged everything. Paperwork, vaccines, anti-rabies, blood tests, approved pre-flight kennels, flights, etc. Worth every cent.

Advertisement