If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Getting someone help

  • 27-02-2022 9:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

    Person is abusive and behaviour is threatening. Appears to have mental health issues which are progressively getting worse and outbursts/rage episodes are constant.

    How do you get someone help who will NOT seek help themselves?


  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Liberty_Bear

    Bear in mind you can lead a horse to water but cannot make it drink. You can ask questions to help them come to a conclusion themselves. Empower people to think for themselves

  • Administrators Posts: 13,029 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

    Call the guards.

    If the person is an adult there is not an awful lot you can do. Especially if they are adamant that they will not engage with any services. But you can stop tolerating their behaviour. If they are threatening and abusive, call the guards.

    Maybe a few unpleasant consequences for their behaviour will make them rethink their decision to not seek help.

  • Registered Users Posts: 23 PeonyPink

    Things are gone beyond sitting down and chatting. They are right and the world is wrong and out to get them. It’s devastating. I can’t go home without being shouted at and verbally/ emotionally abused just for getting on with my daily life and routine. Parents are in denial and keep covering it up.

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

    Move out if you can.

    There is nothing you can do as long as others in the house are enabling the behaviour.

  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Tork

    Short of moving out, I don't see what else you can do. You're in a minority at home because your parents are going to continue to take the side of this person. Already they're OK with you being shouted at and will tolerate a lot more at their own expense. Unless they're onside if somebody calls to the house about ths, you're going to be the worst in the world. If you think home is bad now....

  • Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 13,029 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

    I agree with the posters above. You need to move out. If you already have moved out, then you need to refuse to call to the house for as long as your sibling is there. You might find that you stand alone in this. But as already said, you cannot make an adult do something they don't want to do. That includes making your parents take action against your sibling.

    All you can do is look after yourself, by removing yourself from the situation.

  • Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

    Hi op,

    In life you are sadly going to meet people who are stuck in their ways, terrible behaviour, list can go on. If its a person you work with or friends its easier to drop them like a bad habit than a family member. But ultimately you do the same to them.

    So move out and stop all contact. Should they come calling for a favor remember their behaviour.