Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I get fully comprehensive insurance for my wife, on my car?

Options
  • 27-02-2022 6:50pm
    Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭

Up until today, we've always had 2 cars. We've sold my wife's car now. She's currently a named driver on my insurance, and as far as I know she's insured through her own insurance, fully comprehensive, on my car.

Now that her car is sold, and this we'll be cancelling her insurance, can I have her as a named driver on my car, fully comprehensive?

Additionally, should be swap the principle driver every year so we both maintain our NCB?

Post edited by LIGHTNING on

Best Answer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Yes. Make sure she's named on your fully comp policy.

Yes. Swap every year. NCB lasts 2 years. Keep them both.

She can insure your car fully comp as you're married. Most companies ask. If they don't just make sure she tells them it's her husband's car.

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭galvo_clare

Just add her as a named driver on your policy. Not sure if you can swap over to keep both NCDs but I doubt it. A NCD lasts for two years generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just to confirm that swapping the policy over every year on the same car keeps the full NCB going for both. No need to switch ownership as a spouse has an insurable interest in the car.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Yup. That was my thinking. Thanks for confirming.

My wife is already a named driver on my insurance. I'll ring them anyways to make sure.

Advertisement