Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suzuki k125 for test.

Options
  • 22-02-2022 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,

First post from me, hope everyone is good and I have a couple of questions to ask.

First off, can I do a test on the above bike? Japanese import from the guys at Retro Bikes Dublin. Gears are same as a honda cub (four-speed sequential transmission). Secondly, I did my IBT in September 2020 on a 125cc as I thought at the time that I wouldn't want anything more powerful than that. So Ive completed modules 1,2,3 and 4. My question is, can I just do module 5 with an instructor now to be able to ride a 600cc and above, would my IBT cert be updated to show this?, or do I need to do a test on a 125cc first? I have about 18 months left on my second learner permit, so have a bit of time on my side yet.

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 koppite1970

Pic of the Suzuki k125 here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

One thing that I discovered during my IBT (because someone was doing it this way) was that you can do the test on your 125 for that license category but when it comes to upgrading you only need to do the additional IBT module, not the test again... It was news to me... And apparently you can only do this one and skip one category...

Anyway, I'm no expert on the detail and this is the internet, so take what I say with a pinch of salt, get in touch with a qualified instructor and ask them...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,930 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you are over 24 just rent a bike off your instructor and do the A test. You'll need lessons anyway so may as well do it on the big bike then you can buy what you you like, once you can insure it.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭enrique66_35

Check with your IBT instructor as they will be the ones issuing the cert but based on reading the RSA booklet (https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/services/s1.8-learner-driver-resources/initial-basic-training-(ibt).pdf?sfvrsn=d74e79bf_2) it would seem that you can do just module 5 to upgrade your IBT to full A category (any size bike). This assumes you got all categories on your leaner permit which everyone does. If for some reason A was left off that would need to be sorted first.

As for the test, you can do it on any bike you like but your licence will be limited to the category of that bike (in this case A1). If you ultimately want an A licence then it would be best to do the test on at least an A2 (then upgrade via progressive access) or ideally rent an A bike from your instructor for it.

If you do the test on your own bike you will get a A1 licence which can only be upgraded to A2 via progressive access (1 step limit and 1 time only).

Advertisement