Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Player : Phone app vs TV app content

Options
  • 22-02-2022 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭

I'm wanting to watch some episodes of Nationwide from early February 2022.

I can see these earlier episodes on the RTE Player app on my phone (& many more prior to that), but only the last 3 episodes from 16 Feb are on the RTE Player app on my Virgin 360 box.

Anyone know why this difference, & how can I watch these earlier episodes on TV (without screen mirroring etc) ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

It's to do with Rights Issues

The only RTE Player with the most content will be the website www.rte.ie/player and 2nd best option would be the RTE Player App on iOS & Android

The App version on Virgin Media, Sky boxes etc. is restricted aswell as the TV Apps on Samsung, LG TVs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

I've always found that incredibly annoying though. Imagine if Netflix or similar offered less/more content depending on the device you were using to access it?!

I tend to only watch the player on my Apple TV, as too many things are missing from the LG tv version of the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭dam099

Not sure if Nationwide is a RTE in-house production or commissioned by RTE using an independent producer but either way would be a bit ridiculous if they don't have the rights to it on all platforms. I can see it for imported shows but their own productions shouldn't really have that issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I think it is RTÉ Cork that make Nationwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭KildareP

The RTÉ player on Sky and Virgin Media is more a catch-up service than the full player offering.

The content is stored and streamed by Virgin/Sky as opposed to coming directly from RTÉ themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Less to do with rights issues - when it comes to Nationwide at any rate, which is an in house production - more to do with what can be done/is done on these platforms.

There is no app on Sky. It is completely delivered through the catch up section of the EPG. Only seven days of content is available. My recollection is that it’s similar on VM Horizon and probably similar on 360 (there is a red button app on the Mediabox platform).

Advertisement