Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defragment in windows 10 ?

Options
  • 22-02-2022 1:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭

Can you defrag manually in windows 10 or does it do it in the background for you??

its just that my laptop has gone very laggy of late everything takes an age to open and its wrecking my head

the HDD is running at 100% most of the time and but its only half full and there's no sign of viruses or malware either, so i don't know😕

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If it's a HDD then do you have enough RAM ? Defrag won't stop windows using the pagefile.

There's third party apps that will defrag. Or right click on the drive to do it. Automatic defrag is in schedules.

If it's an SSD then defrag won't make it faster. It will wear out the drive sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no its not a SSD just a regular HDD, *4 gb of ram

*sorry my mistake its 4 gb

Post edited by fryup on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

16GB ? try disabling swap file for a while for testing.

Systeminternals - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/sysinternals-suite

Process Explorer - to see what's busy CPU wise

DiskMon, - to see what's using the disk

PsKill - to kill apps by name from the command prompt

Autoruns - use to stop stuff loading but DO NOT disable anything unless you are 100% sure.

Disk2vhd - export windows to VM , change from vhdx to vhd to use in VirtualBox on a different machine if you ever want to spend ages ruling out hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I found that Windows 10, even after a clean install, can bog down a HDD. I also have 16GB Ram. In the end I upgraded the HDD to a cheap 128GB SSD and my laptop has come back to life despite being a Sandy Bridge Core i3 from 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep its usually after a windows update and when ever it comes out of 'sleep/hibernation mode' it takes the best part of half an hour to get up to speed

just to get back to my OP would using a 3rd party defrag program help?

Post edited by fryup on

• Advertisement
Advertisement