Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help figuring out POST beeps

Options
  • 21-02-2022 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I built a PC for my parents a few years back and it never gave any trouble until now, when it won't turn on.

Here are the specs:

Goods Ordered (prices in GBP)
    £132.49 x 1 - AMD Ryzen 5 Six Core 1600 3.60GHz (Socket AM4) Processor - Retail
    £0.00 x 1 - FREE WITH CP-39Z-AM: AMD Promotion: Quake Champions PC Game
    £72.49 x 1 - Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3 AMD B350 (Socket AM4) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
    £54.99 x 1 - MSI GeForce GT 1030 2GH OC Passive 2048MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card
    £83.29 x 1 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C15 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black (CMK8GX4M2B3000

There are some POST beeps that I'm trying to understand.

When I press power on, it beeps twice and then beeps 4 times. I believe its an AMI BIOS on this mobo so according to a google search, its either the RAM or "another component", which isn't helpful.

In terms of troubleshooting, I've removed the 2 RAM sticks and tried each one on its own in the 4 slots separately. So either both RAM sticks are broken or they're fine and its something else.

I also reset the CMOS by shorting 2 pins on the motherboard, but that had no affect, other than make the mobo LED lights come on.

EDIT: And I also replaced the CRC2032 battery.

The only other thing I tried was to replace the graphics card. I had an old graphics card in my shed that I tried and got the same beeps. The only issue here is that I'm not sure if the other graphics card works. I also tried plugging the DVI cable into the onboard graphics card (I'm not even 100% sure it has onboard graphics tbh) but that had no affect either.

The motherboard has some lights on it to indicate the issue, according to the manual. There are 4 lights: CPU, BIOS, VGA and RAM. As I power on, I see it going from CPU to BIOS to VGA, and then it beeps, with the lights stopped on VGA.

So if the motherboard is telling me its the VGA that's stopping the POST, and I've tested with the Geforce GT 1030, onboard graphics, and a separate graphics card, is it possible that the motherboard itself has died?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Post edited by The_B_Man on

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Perhaps worth replacing CMOS battery or verify correct date and time is set

https://www.gigabyte.com/Support/FAQ/816

AWARD BIOS

1short beep :System normal

2 short beep :CMOS Error

1 long beep and 1 short beep:Memory error

1 long beep and 2 short beep:Graphic card error

1 long beep and 3 short beep :AGP error

1 long beep and 9 short beep :Memory Error

Continuous long beep :Memory not correctly installed

Continuous short beep :Power supply unit failed

AMI BIOS

1 short beep :Memory Error

2 short beep:Memory parity check error.

3 short beep :basic memory 64K address check error

4 short beep :Real Time Clock malfunction .

5 short beep :CPU error

6 short beep:Keyboard error

7 short beep :CPU interruption error

8 short beep:Graphic card error

9 short beep :Memory error

10 short beep :CMOS error

11 short beep :CPU cache memory malfunction

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

Sorry, forgot to say I replaced the battery with a fresh CR2032 and got the same error.

Will update OP.

But ye, I can't even get to the BIOS to check the time and date. The monitor screen doesn't come on.

Maybe that's a hint that it is VGA related if the screen won't even show any life at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

2 short beep:Memory parity check error.

Board has x4 slots - have you tried to use one stick at the time and change slot(s)? Test every single one of them whit each stick

You didnt specify CPU model - does it have "G" - if so, remove GPU and connect monitor direct to MB video port, if it doesnt - there is no point testing without dedicated card

Other than that - process of elimination i guess, with all the components, starting with spare RAM

Ye the first thing I did was to try each stick of RAM in each of the 4 slots separately.

Also, I don't think the CPU has an iGPU. The motherboard has the output ports alright, but I think thats just to support CPUs that do have iGPU.

Given the error light on the mobo stops on the "VGA" light, I still think its related to that. I might have another graphics card somewhere that I'll try, in case the other one was dead as well.

If not, then I think the whole motherboard will need to go.

Tried again.

Haven't got time to troubleshoot it and they need a PC ASAP so gonna just buy a new one.

Any recommendations of parts? When I got this one from Overclockers, the new Ryzens were the best bang for buck. Is that still the same now?

The above build cost me £350 sterling for the cpu, mobo, ram and basic gfx card. Am I crazy to think I can get the modern equivalent for that price? I reckon its the motherboard thats faulty now so could presumably keep the RAM and save a few quid. Maybe even the gfx card as well if it is the culprit is the mobo.

Would like a new case though. This one is ancient and missing plastic plate covers for where a CD rom would potentially go.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

• Advertisement

Actually, someone told me that with Dual channel RAM you need both RAM sticks working together.

So in other words, i need 2 working to get a POST.

The specs for the motherboard say:

• Dual Channel Non-ECC Unbuffered DDR4, 4 DIMMs

So is it a case i need to buy 2 RAM sticks that are paired in order to get this working?

Advertisement