Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leak under tiles, a job for a plumber?

Options
  • 20-02-2022 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

We have underfloor heating and as you can see from the pic (see shadowy colour along the skirting) we appear to have a leak running underneath. Each day it gets slightly worse (have now switched off heating to that zone) as I've been marking it with pencil. I have no idea how to fix it - is this something I'd hire a plumber for? I presume we'd need to take up tiles and hopefully spot the culprit

Mind you, I've no clue if it is the underfloor heating. On other side of the wall is the bathroom but the tiles don't have the same shadow (but are also off a different colour so might stain as easily)!

Any advice really appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,232 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

Yep, get a plumber. Its most likely something in the bathroom.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

have you pic of the other side

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭standardg60

Have you a daily used shower on the other side of the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Thanks for all the replies 🙌

On the other side is a shower, toilet and bath. The bath is used often (kids), the shower very rarely. There's nothing visible to indicate the leak is originating from here but, though the bath is a bit away, it has a fiddly hose attachment that leaks when we use it to rinse hair, for all I know it could be dripping underneath the bath itself when not in use, would have to be a lot of dripping to make it across the bathroom floor to the tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

That is a serious hight difference between the bathroom and the hall, water would easily pool for a long period under the bathroom floor before making its way out.

Once it finds a path out it will leak quickly.

The floor tile in your picture in hall appears to be saturated this would indicate a longterm leak.

If you're bath is used daily that is where I'd look first.

Get a plumber either way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭20/20

Do you have a shower tray ? Or is it a wet room. Yet rooms can give a lot of problems.

I would call out a plumber to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Tell the plumber it’s not a call out though. Have a plumber in place to do the repair. No point paying €120 to tell you what you already know.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Might be worth checking with your house insurance too, it may be covered under that

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭darrenheaphy

Awesome, thanks again everyone, that's really helpful. Good call on house insurance too

Advertisement