Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pike Fishing River Barrow

Options
  • 20-02-2022 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi, I am planning to go on my first pike fishing outing in the coming weeks. I'm planning to head out along the River Barrow in towards Graiguenamanagh/St Mullins. Can anyone recommend any areas with good access and parking? Also any advise on what lures I should use. I am planning on using my Bass rod and reel setup, 9 foot 9-28g Favorite Colbalt and a 4000 Hart spinning reel. Any and all advise welcome as I have no experience in pike fishing whatsoever.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

My best advice is, to go with someone who has experience.

Not meaning to sound blunt, but if you have never handled a pike before, you could do a lot of damage, both to yourself and the pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Hey Ninja

Give me a pm if you like and I can run through the basics with you and put you on some easily accessible places to fish.

As lewis says above handling pike is not very straight forward and they probably account for 95% of all injuries to fishermen in Ireland, they are also not as hardy as people would have you believe and great care is needed with them.

You have some fantastic pike fishing on the barrow, and going with an experienced angler would be a great idea. I am in several barrow pike groups, so if you dont know anyone familiar with pike fishing, I can arrange a meetup with some experienced fellas who will put you on the right track.

Advertisement