Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling high value car privately

Options
  • 19-02-2022 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭

Some advice please. Thinking of selling a (what I consider anyway) a high value car in the €70k range privately. Reason is wife want's to get a tesla but know there trade in will be horrible quote. Have submitted details to webuycars.ie, zucars.ie etc but again expecting poor enough quotes. Is it realistic to think I'll be able to sell it privately on carzone.ie/donedeal.ie with that pricing and how would I handle payment (thinking give bank details and when cash in back hand it over)?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭blackbox

You might find a dealer who will sell it for a fee. I can't see anyone buying something that expensive on Done deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,492 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If it is a desirable model you may find that a dealer will buy it from you in order to add it to his stock.

Some cars are in very short supply so it may be worth more than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

You might be surprised what the offers the online companies come back to you with.

Would definitely try and sell to a dealer to take a lot of hassle and risk out of it for yourself. There has never been a better time to do this. I would be trying at least 3-5 dealers.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,860 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Yes, sell it to a dealer. In this market you'll easily get 90%+ of the retail price that he'll sell it on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,293 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dealers are crying out for stock so you really are in luck. In normal times you would get absolutely screwed asking a dealer to buy your car but right now they will be happy to talk.

If you put it on donedeal you will get dealers calling you up I'd say given how short of stock they are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,548 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Dying to know what model & make! Best of luck either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭goochy

You need to try the likes of lewis motors and beshoff motors to sell for you or buy from you

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

It’s a 191 Volvo XC90 D5 Inscription in perfect condition, 60k KMs. On carzone about the 68 to 75k with equivalent of this one in the 70k range. Not the sexiest in the world but in perfect condition. In limerick area. Wife was looking at a c40 ev at local dealer and first offer was 60k for the XC. I told her walk away with disgust. In no articulate rush but like mentioned above now seems like a good time to sell and have my car and daughters car in the driveway so can do without for a while.

Your local Volvo dealers Lyons are buying in Jap import audis and vws to sell , so there a chance they might want to buy your Xc90

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭DullSpark

This might sound a bit mad but look up the rkings competitions on Facebook. They are always looking for cars to raffle off. I know a few lads who have sold their cars to them and got better prices then trade ins. The mark up they make off each draw I'd say you could offer it to them for a price

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,022 ✭✭✭Casati

I know somebody who offered them a 2 year old v90 in perfect condition and they wouldn't even bid on it, but for sure shop around all the main dealers and see what they bid.

XC90 D5 is very sought after but can't see you getting 70k for it - a brand new XC90 T8 retails at 80k and has almost 400bhp and AWD. To sell it privately you are hoping to find not only somebody who will pay 70k without the garage experience, but also somebody who won't need any financing which I think will difficult

Fair but spec on this one is in the 90k+ range

Agree, private sell not realistic. Quotes coming in from dealers and at 67k right now...did say 70k range 😊

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Spec differences wash out typically over about 4 years value wise.

Spirit motor group - who are Volvo dealers - have ads going round that they are buying used cars for stock.

Thanks for the make and model (seeing as it was nosey me that asked) @higster... that is certainly a high end Swedish desirable car in anyones consideration!!

Just to back up @DullSpark 's suggestion that I've quoted, I know a few people that have had vehicles bought by mckinley competition and got good money for them. They're only interested in covering the costs of the projected tickets price so they may pay a decent price for a desirable "normal" car. The Ferrari and Lamborghini ticket sales suffer from the post win anxiety costs of tax, insurance and VRT. The Campervan's & high end family cars that have realistic & affordable future costings do really well.

If your getting offered 67k from a dealer then your obviously great at sales, well done

Nope, no good at sales. Pure demand by looks of it. Zucar.

Wonder if zucar or joe duffy volvo will retail it. Let us know if u spot it for sale

I'd say you've contacted them all. If you haven't I would. These dealers always have someone in mind for cars like that, a flush repeat customer that wouldn't be arsed changing the car but would if they're contacted with a cracker of a car with all the extras.

edit: tidy up to make more clear (though I quoted precious comments).

as above, sold XC90 to zucar for 67k. Well she is up on da web for €73,900

Post edited by higster on

• Advertisement

Very strong money, seems like the market is a bit flooded with XC90 T8's that are a lot cheaper

Which dealer has it ?

Hope you got what you wanted if you sold it to whoever has it for sale, or... best of luck with the sale if you or an agent is selling it for you.

He's sold it read the post !

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

• Registered Users Posts: 6,269 ✭✭✭alias no.9

9% APR on the finance probably includes a decent margin for the dealer.

Not sure what you call a big margin but its €6900 markup and they have a no haggle policy.

Having said that I think its overpriced and will sit a while but I could be wrong. I also sold a 191 Volvo to a dealer almost 5 months ago and its sitting there overpriced by about a grand all that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

That's what I mean. It could tie up 67k of capital for a few months and then they may have to move price down and there's always room for some haggling

But I see it's Joe Duffy group, so no shortage of cash

Seems a big mark up and don't know why they are selling it a car supermarket instead one of their volvo dealerships?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

That kind of money over 5 year loan is 10-13k in interest so dealer will also make the commission on the finance as well.

Advertisement