Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Searching for first time car insurance so have few questions (with further to follow no doubt)

Options
  • 19-02-2022 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

Right so, picking out cars on done deal and applying those and my information to quote sites like chill insurance (got to start somewhere)

First thing's first.

Like I've been advised, I'm going low engine, less doors and picking a car that's not too old. That's the easy part

Have no budget set for car price or insurance as one things impacts the other.

For example I've just put in a standard 131 Volkswagen Groove at market price €8000 (real price) , then i put the same car in at my own value of €9000 suddenly the premium is down by 500 quid.

Yeah I know I'm paying more for the car, but that's not really the point. Say there's a different car out there at that price that ticks more boxes it might be worth paying that extra grand for

Trust me I know I'm going to pay on both items (car and insurance) but if theres's variations to that degree I'd like to know what other stuff I'd need to be looking out for

Not going to be a big user of the car either it should be noted but I don't plan to change cars as I'd like to get the most out of my initial purchase especially with the way prices currently are

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭clobber

So what I've been getting from online only searches based on above criteria is the following.

Fully comprehensive: Allianz and Liberty generally coming back to me between €3,200 and €3,500.

Then 123go which is specifically for first time drivers, with all things being the same are coming in at €1400-€1600

Nothing sure where we stand after that.

All the rest are just saying give us a call

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭kirving

You're basically wasting your time with online quotes as a first time driver. Call brokers.

123GO will fit a tracking box to your car. If you're you're with this, then not a bad choice, but you can be unfairly penalised for things like heavy braking if someone steps out in front of you.

A 3 door car is not necessarily cheaper than a 4/5 door, it will depend on the individual car. While published for the UK and not specifically for Ireland, Insurance Groups will help you choose a cheaper car to insure, and are generally applicable here too.

It can be a hard balance to strike between spend extra money on a car, which then may be cheaper to insure.

On the final point, no point keeping a car long term because it was expensive, as it might be better value to change before it gets too old and less desirable. ie: the car may lose more value as it ages form 9 to 10 years old, than it did going from 8 to 9 years old, because at 10, it might be harder to insure for new drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭clobber

Beautiful. Learning stuff already. Yeah the online quotes are just a prep for me in worst case scenario terms.

Some day I'll get minute add ons to my phone plan and contact brokers and providers :)

Like you've just pointed out, before I even contact anyone there can be alterations to that previous mentioned criteria like doors.

I'm definitely thinking in terms of finding out where the boat can be pushed on the car first

Is there anything categoric in terms of car spec that just ain't going to work for cheaper insurance??

That needs to be the first thing, Got to have what we think will be the right'ish car before looking at insurance. You said it "hard balane to strike"

Advertisement