Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you like Bovril?

• 19-02-2022 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭

Found a jar of Bovril and it reminded me of my dad bringing me to work with him years ago. He was a boilerman at a hospital keeping the heating system running on turf at the time. He'd pop around the wards to make sure all was ok and the matron would give him a jar of Bovril in winter.

Do you like it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Putrid stuff from what I remember the smell was enough to keep me away from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Hehe I had a mug of it earlier. Warms you up on a day like today

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Love it,I always ask for a jar of it to be put in a package when family are sending stuff from home.

As a kid I use to also love a oxo cube in a mug also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭phormium

No, had to drink it every day in school during winter, the smell transports me right back to being a child sitting in the back of the empty class having my lunch, my mother was the teacher so sat at the desk. I hated the stuff but those days you drank/ate what you were given!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Icemancometh

It's the business

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,611 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My mother often drank it. I think when she was dieting. The smell put me off!

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Rank tack all together, the old lad drinks it occasionally, as other posted it's the smell, world's worst Yankee candle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I have it occasionally. Great in this weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I like it but haven't had it in years. Think I prefer, as mentioned by someone else, an oxo cube in hot water.

Chicken Bovril is nice, too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I love it as a drink but also spread thickly on bread and butter...nom nom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

yes this!! Love bovril, perfect winter warming savouriness! and yum on bread too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Suckler

Was just going to say the same. I had always had it as a drink, South African guy I worked with always had it on toast and found it strange to have as a drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I prefer Marmite on toast or bread. Marmite does not make a good drink, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 142 ✭✭lenscap

Love Bovril as a drink and in some cooking, when a rich beef stock is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Lovely stuff but now expensive, loved having a small spoon of the stuff.

Advertisement