If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

What would you do in this situation?

  • 19-02-2022 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

    Hi all

    I'm in a bit of a pickle at the moment and I'm wondering what others would do in this situation.

    Over lockdowns I realised I wanted a career change. Not happy in the job I'm in and couldn't see myself doing that work for the rest of my working life. To cut a long story short I've recently started a Masters degree that is flexible and that I can do in my own time while I continue to work in order to change career path. The Masters is full time but over two years. I'm already finding it a bit difficult to balance both work and Masters stuff and my days are fairly jammed.

    The job that I haven't been happy in for a while now has decided to offer my a long overdue promotion which I am considering to keep me going until a possible new opportunity arises from the Masters. I am in the process of negotiating a salary for the promotion so I still haven't accepted it. In the meantime another company that I had done an interview for in the summer contacted me to ask if I was interested in an upcoming role and if I was still on the lookout for a new job. The HR person said did I want to have a "chat" with two of the people that previously interviewed me so to me, that doesn't sound like a formal interview.

    The last time I interviewed for this company there was the opportunity to work part time and is a pensionable job, which my current job isn't. I still haven't got the full job spec for this new role but I'm in a bit of a limbo now where my boss wants to negotiate the salary for the promotion before I get a chance to talk to this other company about this potential new job. Both are in the same area of work but it's to keep me going financially while I learn and upskill in the Masters.

    From talking to a coupe of friends these were their suggestions:

    1. Take the promotion and continue on for as long as you can with the Masters
    2. In the salary negotiations try to get the current company to give you a 4 day week to help with Masters
    3. Take the promotion and if you're interested in the other role and there's more potential for moving to part time hours by the time you talk to them, they get back to you, you decide, accept and work out your notice it's still 2 months
    4. Take the promotion and stick in the current job for as long as you think you can because moving into a new company and learning all their processes/people, even if part time, might end up being more stressful with the Masters than staying with what you know for now

    What would you do?


  • Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭riddles

    Sorry just reading this just wondering how this has evolved for you?