Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gas fire for open fireplace

Options
  • 17-02-2022 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭

We are looking to swap over from turf to a real looking gas fire. We don't want something behind glass if at all possible.

A see some of the local retailers selling complete fireplace units with surround for circa 1800 and I also see other 'tray' fires that simply fit into existing fireplace even with existing fire back. These seem to be in the 500 euro price range and would really be what we are looking for in terms of keeping our entire fireplace as is.

From my own research, it would appear that these tray fires are the least efficient so I guess that's a major drawback.

Anyone any advice on models or typical running costs. This is for a 1980s house with standard chimney and would be used 200+ days per year so it needs to be a decent unit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Don't do it! The heat out of these things is minimal and most of it goes up the chimney. You would be better off with no heat and a chimney balloon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭phormium

Very true I'm afraid! If you just want a real looking fire to look at and for atmosphere they are fine even if expensive to run, heat wise they are no great shakes.

If you want heat a small gas stove is good but of course that might mean more fireplace changes. My father had a gas stove, lovely flames, gave off great heat and had a remote control, I bought it on done deal to replace an older one that he could no longer bend down to operate. It was a neat tidy little thing, gave great heat and not that expensive to run due to the amount of heat the hot metal radiated when it was going a while so could be turned down then.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,286 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

We want it for heat. Our turf fire heats the room easily and it is the main living room.

Sounds like it's not a good plan so.

Are the full units any better than the trays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,717 ✭✭✭Tow

Yes. The various models all have an efficiency rating. The gas inserts you were looking at send most if the heat up the chimney. Fine for heating the 'good room on state occasions'. But cost wise would be better to keep your central heating for 200+ days and heat the whole house. Last time I did research the most efficient gas fire insert (has glass screen) was the Gazco Logic E-Box.

The now call this the Logic HE, which is 89% efficient.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Advertisement