If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Upgrading my 172 Ioniq - the experience so far

  • 16-02-2022 11:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

    Hi all,

    I am currently upgrading my 172 Ioniq and I thought I would summarize the experience, it might help some other people looking for new EV at the moment.

    I have decided several months ago it would be a good idea to upgrade my car, as I have noticed a drop in the range and also drop in the value of the car. Rather than wait for couple of years and trade it in for nothing, I thought I would cash in now whilst it is worth something. The budget was up to 40k and I was hoping to get approx 17k for my car.

    I have tried the following in the last couple of weeks/months:

    Skoda Eniaq - while I liked the car, it is nice and roomy, it is almost impossible to get to an actual price for the car, as the dealerships are not sure when they can actually deliver. In Galway I was even told that they were asked by Skoda to call customers and demand higher price as their costs have increased. The availability is terrible, Jan-Feb of 2023, maybe.

    Peugeot 2008 - I liked the car, but it was a little uncomfortable to sit in ( I am a big man). The dealearship in Mayo is run by very nice people and I cannot fault them, they offered the highest trade in for my car, almost 17k. I never discussed availability with them.

    Citroen e-C4 - this is very similar to 2008, I would say it is even a little nicer design-wise, but I had the same price, it was not a comfortable car for me. Also, after the test drive the dealer promised to come back to me with the price for the car and trade-in, and I am still waiting, month later. It looks to me like they were not really interested to sell EVs, just yet.

    Ioniq 5 - even though this is a little over budget, we tried it, it is a really love or hate car and my other half hated it.

    MG ZS - this is a very nice car, very roomy and it looks it has all the electrical toys you would want, however the availability I was told is next year and again the sales person in dealership was not really interested to spend time with me and go through any details.

    Nissan Leaf - one of the better cars, it drives well and they are experienced in the dealerships, but I was a little concerned by relatively short range of the lower battery version, and the 64kWh is quite a jump in price. Nissan even offers to lend you the car for a weekend if you are interested, so you can get really familiar with it, we did not ask for this, it was offered by the sales person.

    Mazda MX30 - I visited the dealership in Galway, the do not even have a demo car and do not know when they will get one - so that was it. I also read quite a bad reviews about the short range, so I have removed this from the selection.

    Open Mokka-e - again, no stock of demo car in Galway, at least I was able to see the petrol version in the showroom and see how the car looks. It is a nice car, especially in the higher spec version, and the price of it is also competitive. It is, however, not possible to get the lead time for the new car, as Open has issues with chips as everybody else.

    Huyndai Kona - one of the cars still in the race, very familiar to my Ioniq, I wished it had a little bigger boot, but overall it is a very good value, I just cannot decide whether to got for Executive or Premium version. The trade in value differs between the dealerships, I have got from 12.5k to 16k, so you really need to shop around. The availability is great, you can have your car pretty much immediately, there is several colour version available.

    Kia e-Niro - When I visited the dealership I was immediately told that e-niro is pretty much discontinued and cannot be ordered anymore as new version is coming. I looked online and tried to find some details, it seems this is H2 2022 car and probably will be about 44k in price, with demo cars arriving to Ireland in August. As new version is over budget, I looked at the current version and there seem to be several cars available in dealerships around country for good value, most of these are long range with over 400km and similar design and specs to Kona. I am due to test drive this, hoping this weekend.

    So, in summary, I think the Kia and Hyundai offer the best combination of value / availability at the moment and I will decide between one of these, I think I will also try to sell my car privately (let me know if anybody is interested, 172 Ioniq, with 108k, in black, does about 190km in winter, about 210 in summer, still in warranty).

    So I will update this thread once the decision is made, hopefully this looong text will help somebody in their search.


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,780 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

    I can't tempt you to check out the VW cars? ID.4 is the same platform as the Enyaq underneath so should drive the same

    I agree the Ioniq 5 is a bit divisive. I think the colour options have a big effect. I saw a black one recently and thought it looked terrible, but then saw a metallic grey one today and was practically drooling over it

    Kia EV6 is another option in that bracket

    I'd say for now the Hyundai/Kia have better technology than VW, but availability seems worse and VW might close the gap with some of the updates

    There's always Tesla as well 😁

    "The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭ewj1978

    Look at the Id3, ID4, esoul, eniro.

    Kona is very small inside.

  • Registered Users Posts: 23,227 ✭✭✭✭ted1

    Look at availability..

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭daheff

    If your budget is up to 40k, you can forget ID 4, EV6 and Enyaq.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭Redfox25

    Think the OP has 40k plus hopes to get 17K for his trade in

  • Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

    Hyundai Kona from 2019 currently under full battery recall, you could get one around the mid/high 20's and effectively have a new car range and still two years bumper to bumper warranty. In the same position as you last year and this is the option we went with, zero regrets. At that price point it's very much considering

  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭turnfan

    Can you give more details about the drop in range you have experienced on the Ioniq? as a 191 owner, I'd like to know what to expect!

    Did the dealers offering trade in, ask about SOH of the battery? This seems to be hard to get "officially" from Hyundai

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭zg3409

    As an ioniq 28kWh owner I have noticed no drop in range even with high mileage. In winter your guessed range to empty will drop as batteries provide less energy when cold. Range guessed increase in summer.My battery still reports 100% and online users have reported 100% up to 160,000km and above.

    Prices of used ioniq have risen. Some were sold one year ago for 16k, same cars not are worth 19k even though one year older. They have held their value better than equivalent leaf.

    For best price you probably want to sell privately, but it's hassle and you may end up with 2 cars for a while. You can also trade your car into any garage and particularly EV specialist dealers like electric autos may give you a fair price if lower than selling directly. Sometimes trading in where you buy can make sense, sometimes they give high trade in, instead of dropping price of car. Ask how much car is without trade in, best price to see real price.

    In terms of your options personally I would go used market, done deal, and look for 60+kWh battery. Brand new cars have long lead and depreciation for year one may be relatively high. You can always go on new waiting list and sell your ioniq when the new car arrives. If you go used you may get your car in a few weeks.

  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

    I had an ioniq and upgraded to an e Niro in 2020 . It’s a great upgrade . I do the cork dublin run a bit so the range bump was brilliant. It a great EV if you like your test drive

    looked at lots options at the time .

    seen second hand e Niro, 2020 , at dealers in cork for 34 asking

  • Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

    @Fermi - are you only looking to buy a brand new car? If considering second hand and a small car is not a problem then the Kona 64kWh springs to mind, in warranty for another 2 years at least, long range and a lot of value from about €25k

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

    Indeed, that is correct, it would be 40k including the trade-in.

  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

    So I think I narrowed it down, either E-niro or Ioniq 5. The ID.3 was also on the list, but it is so difficult to get one...

    Waiting for dealers to come back with trade-in offers for my car and will make a decision then.

  • Registered Users Posts: 64,674 ✭✭✭✭unkel

    Be careful comparing the trade in offers, I'd say it wouldn't be too hard to sell your Ioniq privately for around €17k

    And as I asked earlier, are you only considering a new car, not second hand options?

  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

    Thanks, I think I will try to sell privately, the best trade in I got was 16,5k so possibly I would be able to get more. I would not mind to go second-hand, however the stock out there seems quite limited..

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭loopymum

    16.5 on a trade in seems good value but of course it depends how much the other car is costing

  • Registered Users Posts: 27,752 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

    Wexford VW have two second hand ID3 available but they're expensive.

  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭Snugbugrug28

    Wondering if the OP made any moves here? @Fermi

  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Fermi

    Well I wanted to buy Kia e-Niro, but last units available were gone before I took make a deposit. So we are waiting for Kia Niro EV new generation to come to country ( expected in May for demos) and make decision then.