Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Triangular Shed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I would just go to whoever makes the sheds and have a chat... some of their people may build on-site... it just be a series of panels.. the only tricky bit be the roof...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What are the boundaries made of and what do you want to use it for?

If there are stone walls on both sides, then the easiest thing to do could be to just stick a floor, door and roof on the space. Even a suspended wooden floor if digging out for a concrete base is too much.

Only problem is that any roof cannot drain into a neighbouring property, so you might be right to go with a single prebuilt solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I was looking for bike storage and the company where willing to customise one for me, by making it slightly lower and narrow but in the end I didn't need to customise it. Timber sheds would be the easiest to customise.

The only thing is that the bike storage I was bought at doubled in price since I bought it and it wasn't cheap to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Thank you for your responses everyone.

So to give you a better picture of the overall situation, this is the area in question.

The shed would go over pretty much the entire gravel area. Whether or not the gravel should stay is a separate question (concrete slab might be too pricey/overkill, so alternative solutions will be considered)

That single block wall at the front of the house may or may not be of help, I'm not sure.

The neighbor is on the left and I'll have to be mindful about the rain water collection as pointed out above.

That motorbike would go into the shed too (250kg approx) and I'd do maintenance on it inside the shed. I'd put in a motorcycle lift for that because my back is killing me when doing it all on the ground.

So trying to figure out how to do this without breaking the bank :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭timmyntc

If you covered the whole gravel area with a shed you'd end up with a lot of dead (unusable) space in the shed, namely in the corner where your bins are now.

I'd suggest having a shed that only covers from the back wall to where your barbeque is.

Would you consider building it from blocks and not prefab wooden sheds?

Yes, I agree. Utilizing that very narrow corner with the bins might not make a lot of sense. Thank you.

I'm not sure what it'd mean if I wanted to build a permanent structure. Might not be cheaper I assume and I think I'd need to get a building permit for that? I'd like to avoid involving any red tape if at all possible.

You don't need planning permission if shed is under a certain height and area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah, if you're putting a motorbike and any kind of heavier equipment in this, I would also say you want to go with blocks and a concrete base. Or even a steel shed onto concrete.

I'd probably go with an odd shape up about as far as the BBQ and put your door at that end to give you room to get the motorbike in and out. If you put the door to the shed opening onto the path you will need to fit a double-door to give you enough space to swing the bike in.

• Administrators Posts: 54,087 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Where were you thinking of putting the door?

If you build right up to the edge of the gravel then IMO the space between the shed wall and the wall of the house will be awkwardly narrow for getting anything large in and out of it. Dunno how you'd get that bike in and out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

My 2 cents. I'd have a shed up to the bbq. I'd just fit the best rectangle in that area.

If you try and have an idea how you're going use the shed. People tend to put benches and racking along straights. The corners that are less than 90 will leave a lot of waste.

I think the cheapest would be to put a normal-ish door where the BBQ is, as that's where the shed would end - based on the latest consensus.

...but the most practical might be some sort of a wide up-and-over garage door on the side and a slope/ramp alongside the entire length of the door opening, so that I could roll into the shed from both directions and could also roll out in both directions. This wouldn't be very cheap I assume.

That'd be by far the most budget friendly for sure.

I'm just struggling to see how could it be large enough in that case.

Working on the motorbike takes up a lot of space and I'd also need to store stuff there.

...but maybe if I bought two similar prefab sheds (say 2x 2x3m sheds) and arranged them in an L shape, that'd approximate the triangle better and it might be possible to connect them via an opening/modification like if it was one single building. That wouldn't be a bad option I'd say.

So those are two 2x3.5m sheds arranged in an L shape and the black rectangle represents the relative size of the motorbike.

That'd be quite useful I'd say! ...if such sheds exist at precisely these dimensions and they can be inter-connected relatively easily without the roofs draining into the wrong direction/etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

For insurance purposes you have to build with concrete or steel, no point in building a shed to store the bike if you don't get the insurance benefit.

But if you want to work on the bike in the shed you will need to use the gravel, concrete this and bury a ground anchor, and concrete as you need to have clearance all around the bike if you want to work on it, if you just want storage then the gravel will do, you'll still need to bury a ground anchor. Unless you are doing a lot of work on bikes there is no need for a lift if you have good mobility, I've a bike as do most of my mates and while for the odd job a lift would have been handy none of us have a lift. I'd love a lift for a car but for a home mechanic a lift is overkill for a bike.

Concrete the whole thing, build a shed out of blocks/steel covering the right half of the "triangle", put a normal door/garage door on the left side to easily roll bike in/out.

2 doors limits the space you can use because you need to think about entry, 1 big door or garage style door at that wider side is more than enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭jack of all

I may have missed something here, but is that the entire extent of your rear garden/ open space? From a planning perspective you may not reduce the amount of private garden space to less than 25m2, but perhaps you have another garden, it's not clear.

Thank you. I'm not really building it for making the bike more secure. More for working on it, maintenance, etc... My back can't take crouching near ground level for long, will need to have that lift for sure :)

Thanks for pointing that out. There's a back garden with grass, so it'd be fine to cover the side-garden area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Purgative

Have you considered something like this - the canopy could overlap your path without too much inconvenience, maybe. Just putting it out there. We have a 1 metre overhang and I often wish we'd made it bigger.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about covering the path with something, but I'm already a bit worried about the loss of natural light - going to get a lot less through those side windows on the house because of the shed. Thanks for the suggestion in any case.

Advertisement