Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing a heating system for a holiday cottage.

Options
  • 15-02-2022 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

We're just about to start work on renovation and an extension on a holiday cottage. Built in the 1970s it currently has minimal to no insulation. It has a G on the BER currently but that will be brought up to a reasonable standard and the new section will be to modern standards. At the moment there is no heating in it at all apart from an open fire and a few portable electric heaters.

I'm currently considering installing radiators and an oil boiler or electric heating.

Looks like oil would be the cheapest to install, I can run the pipes behind new internal wall insulation in the old part of the house so no chasing floors. I'm familiar with oil so it's a known quantity but running costs are only going to go one way with it and I would like to go greener if I can afford it.

Electric rads would be simple to install but probably a bit more expensive to buy. Mostly worried about running costs and if they'll be good enough to heat the place particularly the old part of the house. The only experience I have with electric is crap storage heaters but I know they've come on a lot since then.

Heat pumps I assume aren't suitable for a holiday house that's only used periodically or am I wrong?

Any pros and cons? Obviously I don't know too much. Just starting looking into it. Are there any systems other than those that I should look into?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12 alan8373

I know this is a old post .. but did you go for electric heaters in the end ?? I'm looking at moving home and only thing putting me off a place is it got new electric heaters in it but I'm unsure if the heat a open plan kitchen. And are they dear to run .. if you see this I'd appreciate your experience please 🙏

Advertisement