Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Remove old council air vent

Options
  • 15-02-2022 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I want to remove these old metal air vents but I am not sure the best approach.

I want to replace them with ductless MVHR.

They are so well placed into the wall in could hang a piano from them.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ballancej

Hey how did you get these vents off in the end and what did you replace them with, have the same problem myself in a house I just purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,693 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi, maybe the original poster will come back on this, but in the meantime I'd suspect he had to chisel or cut around the outside to find and free-up the edge of the vent and then lever it off the wall.

If you're doing that then have a look at the remaining hole, it might be "missing block" (rectangular) shaped. If so you can fit a 10cm to 12cm vent pipe (soil pipe or equivalent) in its place and then backfill the remainder of the hole. You can then fit a standard open vent or a louvered type, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Hi, so I knocked the plaster out around the vent, it was basically skimmed over. I fixed it up with some polyfilla stuffed it with fiber glass insulation and put a PVC vent over the hole, I don't recommend doing this as you risk a mold issue but I tend to leave the window open for airflow and have a humidity monitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Advertisement