Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6yr old boiler - no mag filter - pump seems dead - Fix/replace or new boiler?

Options
  • 15-02-2022 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm fairly clueless when it comes to plumbing and electrics so seeking advice here. I currently have a non-functioning heating system, some details below;

• Vokera Vibe20A gas boiler.
    • 3 bed terrace house. 8 radiators (1 large & 7 smaller). 80m2 total area. Single zone
    • Climote timer
    • No magnetic filter

I had issues with the system in January when I was away for about 3 weeks over Xmas with timers keeping the heating ticking over for 4 hours spread through the day. When I came back, it wouldn't "start". Climote was sending a signal to the boiler but it wouldn't fire. I bled the rads and topped up the pressure in the system and eventually it got going so left it on all the time controlled by the thermostat to come on and off as needed.

I also had an RGI come out to look at it. He told me that my pump was goosed due to the build up of sludge in the system caused by the lack of a magnetic filter. He opened the pump and showed me this. He then gave me a couple of options:

1. Do nothing, let it die and replace the whole boiler at a later date
    2. Replace the pump, install a magnetic filter & 12l expansion vessel in the hot press and hope the boiler lives a while longer - €1,015 incl.VAT
    3. Replace the whole boiler (Ideal Logic Max), install a magnetic filter & 12l expansion vessel- €3,348 incl.VAT.
    4. I also looked at Swyft who have this option (https://www.swyftenergy.ie/replace-my-boiler/packages/15)of a Worcester Bosch GreenStar i & Mag filter installed for €2,849 incl.VAT. From reading this forum, it seems like a better brand?

I stuck with Option 1 initially while I decided but I've just come back from another week away from home and it's dead and refusing to fire again.

I'm left with a few questions that you guys and girls may be able to help with:

• Am I missing any options above?
    • If I go with Option 2, is it possible to flush out the crap in the system to give it the best chance of staying alive for longer?
    • How is the pricing on Options 2,3 & 4? I'm based in Dublin 3. I've no idea about the trade cost of boilers but Option 2 seems really pricey for supplying & replacing a pump and fitting a filter??
    • Any opinions on the recommended boiler options (Ideal Logic Max / Worcester Bosch) vs. the one I have now (Vokera Vibe 20A)?

Thanks all in advance!❄️

Comments

Advertisement