Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosslare to Bilbao, any feedback?

Options
  • 14-02-2022 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm thinking of going on the Brittany Ferry Rosslare to Bilbao route later in the year, probably September. Ultimate destination is Torrevieja (c8 hours on the motorway). Looking for any feedback from anyone who has done this trip, both in terms of the sailing and the drive afterwards. Also would be interested to hear any tips on good/interesting places to stop off en route to Torrevieja. Want to see a bit of Spain either on the way down or the way back.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

What sailing are you on in Sept? Am sailing again on the 9th as did same last year.

Boat is fine, no frills, bar and restaurant, two nights out and one coming back. Left at midnight last time and the escalator was not working, so be sure you're not carrying anything heavy if you have to scale the 100 or so steps up! Boat is clean and it is a relaxing sailing, I find anyway.

You arrive in port 8am Sunday morning if you sail Friday night. There is nothing on the roads in Spain until 11am so just wind your way onto the motorway and head out of Bilbao unless you plan to visit the Guggenheim museum or the game of thrones location north of Bilbao, St Juan de Gaztelugatxe.

Those who were going there that I know did stop off in the Parc natural along the way, then others went straight to Alicante

One tip, Bilbao is or was like spaggetti junction with loads of motorway roads and a few ports! Lock in the port location into your sat nav and you will have no problem going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Yeah at the moment I'm actually thinking of that one on the ninth, haven't anything booked yet. Yeah I might head straight and stop over somewhere on the way back, I think the boat back leaves at 8 in the morning or something like that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

A few people mention this from time to time in the motorhome forum. I think I remember a discussion on that. A photographer I follow just took this boat to Spain in his campervan. Said much like above, very simple but perfectly fine. He was amazed that he wasn't ripped off for food or drink, about a €5 a pint and €11 a meal from what I remember. Seemed grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Boat back leaves round 5pm, lands Rosslare round 8pm , 27 hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

There is a choice of two sailings fro Bilbao, one leaves at noon and arrives in Rosslare at 16.00 next day. The other leaves at 17.45 and arrives at 20.30 next day.

I used this ferry for the return leg of a booze cruise in December and it is fairly basic.

the cabins are clean and comfortable. The toilets in the public areas were fairly grotty with a number of them out of order. I compared notes with someone who had travelled last November and they said that the toilets were in the same condition then.

the grub was okay and the pint of Heineken was about a fiver. No sign of any draught stout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

Hi all,

Im hoping to take my car and a lot of my belongings on the Rosslare-Bilbao crossing in late August

Am I better to book It now in advance or Will a) the prices go Up Closer to late august & b) what is BEST recommended economy, semi flexible or......!?

What Will be the average price & is a sleeping cabin on Top of what is being quoted on main interface Page of the website!?

Thanks for any advice in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Honorable

Am I right train to Malaga from Bilbao is just over 8 hours. I want to go to Malaga but would like to travel through Spain on train if it is decent. I'll be travelling solo. Would it be cheaper than flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

You’re out of date though as the grotty ferry is gone since Springtime and the current offering is a palace as compared to the black hole of Calcutta which was the Connemara.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭rossj

I bought a 4 berth cabin in the end.. but is there any way to advertise to some other solo traveller to offset the price or is this is a no-no?, is there not a huge number of empty beds in 4 berth cabins and then some people booking at v. last minute with neither a seat nor a bed? seems a waste but I understand people not wanting to share as they do seem fairly tight cabins..

Post edited by rossj on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

No official way to do it. The 2 and 4 bed cabins in my experience are more or less the same (but might be different on other ferry companies). I’ve had to have a pet friendly cabin the last number of times I have used the ferry which is even more limiting as once booked there’s no other realistic alternative (onboard kennel is a no no for me).

• Advertisement
Advertisement