Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surgery on Puppy

Options
  • 14-02-2022 2:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭

Had out puppy to the vet and it seems she has a foreign object (maybe a sock) lodged in her intestines,

Vet was on the phone and really emphasizes that the surgery is high risk , has any one had this experience and had a good outcome .

Really upset here ,the thought of loosing our Ellie is killing us

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

High risk!? I would have thought it was routine enough? My friend’s dog has had foreign objects removed a few times(!) and she was absolutely fine! Try not to worry too much - easier said than done I know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Any surgery on a young puppy is risky, but there's probably little choice as it won't pass through.

Our little one had luxating patella surgery when she was about 9 months old and it went well. It was considered higher risk due to her age, but the leg was coming out of the joint every few days, so there was little option.

She's 6 now 🙂

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ah no Tony H... poor Ellie 😥

As tk123 says, it's reasonably routine and your vet will have done the surgery quite a few times.

I hope she's okay and through it all now. Keeping everything crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Tony H

Panic over

,had a long day from waking up at 6 am to her vomiting to 6pm being told all done and sorted , should be able to take her home tomorrow ,

Only a small incision was needed so hopefully a quick recovery

It was a sock ,well lodged in upper intestine,

Thanks everyone

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Thank goodness 🤗

Aren't they demons for hoovering up the silliest things? Socks seem to be a real favourite too!

• Advertisement

thanks M , just heard from the vet , she has a great night , eating small amounts and will be able to take her home after she poops and they check to make sure everything is ok .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Ah great to hear she’s on the mend. Rory is a divil for shoving stuff in his mouth he’s finally stopped picking up masks in the last month 🤮

tk I have to thank you because in another thread you pointed out how much insurance was well worth it and you argued for using your own examples,

Anyway got Ellie insured with Alianze and thank God we did , got the bill yesterday for Ellie's operation and stay and it came to €1450 .

Advertisement