Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to make a bookcase easily movable (safely)

Options
  • 13-02-2022 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭

I'm looking to make it possible to have a bookcase storage swing outwards to help divide a space. It's a home office that sometimes will have a second person working at the other end of the room. Since it's narrow enough I figured it might be useful to have some storage units be movable to help divide the room.

Assuming that for safety reasons that the bookcase will need to be hinged to the wall to prevent toppling.

Are there any castors that can either be easily lowered so that the bookcase is not resting on the wooden floor in a way that it'll end up indenting/grooving the floor or wide enough castors that would spread the weight well enough that it can sit on them without causing issues?

I've come across https://www.amazon.co.uk/550566-Swivel-Machine-Levelling-Castors/dp/B00K30T7C4 but they seem impractical from an access perspective unless the set to the rear are always on the wheels.

Is there anything with an easier way to engage all wheels at the same time that can be placed into the base of a bookcase?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

How often will you need to move the bookcase? How tall will it be?

Those castors are magic for industrial instrumentation that only gets moved very occasionally, maybe twice a year?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭electrofelix

Probably a couple of times a week, which sound like it rules those type of castors out. I'm expecting the bookcase will leave maybe 2" space to the ceiling.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,037 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Would you just use stronger hinges and let the wall do the work?

You could have a movable leg that will take the weight when the bookcase is in either position.

Something like below can handle 100KG which, coupled with string hinges shouldnt cause any issue to the floor.

Advertisement