Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OOHPod - New Parcel Locker Service - Open Courier Access

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Pnotax

Does this work the same as Parcel motel, virtual adress in NI and than you can collect the package at one of the lockers in ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭lcstress2012

Has anyone bought anything from Amazon using these lockers and how did you get on? Similar to parcel motel?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Read back a few posts

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭GSBellew

It is not clear if the people having issues are trying to get parcels delivered North or South of the border.

OOHPod do not at present offer a virtual NI address with delivery to a ROI locker (and I can not see it happening due to the customs liability)

If you but from Amazon UK for delivery to a ROI locker you will be paying Amazon the same as if you were shipping to any ROI address, including ROI VAT and any duty if applicable.

The DHL issue, if they are shipping to ROI and are unable to collect the VAT / DUTY they will refuse.

Some carriers may also refuse to ship to the NI lockers as it is technically a B2B transaction so UK TSS declarations would be required to be completed, Duty may be required on goods "at risk" of crossing the border, any carrier may reasonably determine the items being delivered to a locker are "at risk"

It is part of the Brexit complexity that many people do not really grasp and part of the reason that the Unionists are very much anti protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sn@kebite

The whole avoiding customs/VAT is gone due to Brexit. As far as I'm aware. Once the parcel leaves NI it may need a customs form to enter ROI. But the other issue is OOHpod doesn't use a main address like a hub in the North. The courier has to deliver the parcel directly into the parcel locker. Many refuse as there's no one there to sign for the parcel. It may only work if it is not requiring signature.

Nobody is really answering and those who did said the parcel was not placed into the locker. I presume this is because the courier has no one there to sign for it so they refuse to place it in the locker. Which imo, is the correct thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

I have used both Amazon and OOHpod lockers. issues can arrise with Amazon drivers have issues with some OOHpod locations,

Last on I had.

Amazon driver rang me to say he could not delivery to the OOHpod locker, he could not find it? On my way home from work I passed by the location to find the Amazon drivers an outside, parked my car, went ot the van to ask about my parcel, asked him what was his issue. I got my parcel,

Location ALDI Carpark

He went all the way up to the ALDI store, to ask where the lockers are. ALDI staff did not know where I have a note on file to say where they are.

Some couriers have given my parcels to other people at another OOHpod location in Dublin. OOHpod lockers are near apartments. I was lucky to get a refund on the lost parcel.

Some couriers have issued using the lockers, can use them or not understanding English instructions.

Eeven my home address with a provide EIRCODE does not mean that I will get the parcel. Funny how BILLS have no problems getting to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sn@kebite

@edunne2010 One of the main reasons I don't use oohpod is because of these problem with the lockers. Parcel Motel just had a warehouse where all packages went to and someone (from UPS) signs for your stuff, then PM vans deliver everything to the lockers that you have set. Very simple and effective.

I think it is to do with what you said they don't speak English (not their fault really) or don't want to put it into the locker with no signature from anyone (they're absolutely correct here).

So the problem is really that oohpod is a poorly designed/coordinated infrastructure that needs to be corrected. OOHpod needs to have a main hub all deliveries arrive to, where someone can sign for the deliveries and vans then sending them to the hub. Without this it is just pointless and a waste of my money as all couriers usually need signatures.

NB - I used parcelmotel for years not even to get free shipping to NI, even for things bought in ireland by courier. I found it to be an excellent service with missing a delivery at my home, waiting all day at home and a courier never shows up! or chasing neighbours for a package or having to find out where the UPS, Fedex, GLS, Fastway etc.. collection points are, all over dublin! The needing to travel to them. It's a damn shame it's gone.

Totally agree with you. Very few issues with parcelmotel.com. Endless issues with OOHpod for the last 6-7 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Dublinandy3

I'm not a massive fan of the OOHpod service, I've always had issues with it and the service is shocking too. I have only ever tried it in the north though. If you're willing to go to the north to pick a parcel up just get it delivered free of charge to a NI post office. They hold it for several days, it's free and easy to use.

Finally got my last parcel from TEMU.

When I get parcels using DHL i get them diverted to the local post office for collection. I had 2 items sent via UPS, they both arrived in Dublin from 2 separate companies, for some reason they were never delivered. Both parcels came from EU . Parcels were sent back to the companies, Both refund me the cost of both items.

Post edited by edunne2010 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

On more than one occasion I have had other peoples stuff put into my OOHPod locker.

That never happened with parcel motel.

I also found some OOHPod lockers left open by couriers who FAIL to close lockers,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

All of this is pretty disheartening. Especially when the founder was involved with the Parcel Motel and should know how that works. I used Parcel Motel all the time with no issues and was hoping that this would be a good replacement. From what I can see, it's anything but.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

Interesting about the NI post office.... will check it out

As for OOHPOD.... I've used it quite a few times with Amazon uk - no probs at all.... bought a laptop and also a tablet from ebay uk and had them delivered to OOHpod, just over the border... with no issues. Great service for me so far....

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

Another problem I've had with OOHPod is that sometimes they charge me twice for the same locker.

Has this happened to anyone else ?

Anyone using OOHpod should take a picture every time you access it. Also paying for empty lockers where idiot couriers open too many lockers,

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭on_the_roots

Never heard about it before.

Do you happen to know if there is any clear limit with size/weight that a NI Post Office can handle?

There is, but they only do it for Amazon items, sorry I just realized I wasn't clear on that point.

It's good however for things that won't ship to Ireland, they hold the items for 7 days and is free, you can return that way too, free of charge.

Size and weight limit is here:

40 cm x 30 cm x 20 cm 15 kg

I'm not sure how they work that out as I've had bigger things than that sent to the post office counter, but not heavier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,080 ✭✭✭mada999

They have another price for oversized items.... bought a standing desk recently and had no issues......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,262 ✭✭✭Tork

I got let down by OOhPod this week. The courier wasn't able to gain access to the locker and had to ring me to ask if there was another address he could deliver the parcel to. Eventually, the problem got sorted but it doesn't fill me with any confidence for any future deliveries.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,896 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Have used oohpod 5 or 6 times this year with several suppliers and it was seamless and hassle free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Whocare

Avoid like plague. Have a delivery to pod first time using it and seeing by an post tracking it was out for delivery this morning and then we tried to deliver and now back at depot I guess going by what on this thread thay have no one to sign for it what a joke of service oohpod I thought post man would get code or something from pod anywounder why he didn't delivery if can't get any proof of delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Just came across this OOHPod service and was excited..... but then the above is disheartening. Was looking for an AddressPal alternative and so was excited.. for around 24 hrs! And Trust Pilot review are nothing to write home about!

Is there any 'positive' stories ....??

So... is it back to AddressPal then for us all???

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,834 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The problem is that its offering a service that could be used to facilitate smuggling. It is not legal to have goods shipped from the UK to the Republic without paying VAT and duty. Amazon won’tt ship to drop off points in NI for this reason.

There will never be another Parcel Motel for this reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

^^ Very true about legal/illegal bit. However, it's grey area. Seller/sender don't know for sure if item would be smuggled South of the border or not, it's solely recipient's action which makes the whole thing illegal. ;-)

That is probably why there are a good few "parcel storage" facilities near the border offering temporary storage and collection. They assume it's just for the convenience, obviously not asking people who collecting items if they're gonna smuggle it or not. They (service providers) just don't care, and (I am open to correction though) if they claim they're not aware what's gonna recipient do with collected item, they're safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭JVince

Most of the poor reviews are from users who didn't understand the service.

They failed to read very clear information and then blame the company for their own inability to understand basic details.

Advertisement