Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Creeky Floors

Options
  • 13-02-2022 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

In a new build over 2 years now and the creeky floors upstairs are particularly bad. The landing and the master bedroom are where we have carpet down are the main culprits. From downstairs you'd thing someone was going to come though the ceiling. It's not ideal with a young family have to try and tiptoe on the good bits after you put them them down.

Would this be covered in the builders warrantee and should I get on them or will it need to be something I need to sort myself?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭mike_2009

There will be an allowable deflection in the building regs but whether you can pin anyone to it? Worth calling out the builder but after 2 years I doubt they will be back. Some local houses had a separate upstairs unit and they never show both upstairs and downstairs to buyers at the same time for this exact reason. Can hear everything. Seems to be the state of current building and buyer beware.

I'd have a look under one edge of the carpet and drill a hole but be very careful due to pipes etc - this would give an indication of the floor makeup. You could overlay it with another sub floor and relay the carpet. Will help stiffen it but best speak to an expert about options. I don't hold out much hope for builders warranty as it probably meets regs, a joke but a house built to regs is the cheapest house you are legally allowed to build. Some builders go beyond, some don't. You can get better underlay but a new subfloor on top of the existing / replacing it might assist.

Knock on a doors you suggested though and see what neighbours have done if they are in the same boat?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Thanks for this. Yeah will think I'll chance the builders any, they are still building in the estate which helps. Will speak with the neighbours first too to see if they have similar issues.

Advertisement